San Bernardino man sentenced in deadly beating of his girlfriend’s father

A San Bernardino man was sentenced Friday to 15 years in state prison, under the terms of a plea bargain, in the deadly beating of his girlfriend’s father following an argument in April 2004.

James Paul Pineda, 35, was sentenced during proceedings before Judge Bryan Foster in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Neighbors near the apartment that Pineda shared with his girlfriend reported rising tension between Pineda and the victim, 53-year-old John Velasquez, of Colton. The pair had an argument about 1:43 a.m. in April 2004, say San Bernardino Police.

Continue reading

Fontana man sentenced in real estate forgery

SAN BERNARDINO – A Fontana man was sentenced to 120 days in county jail Wednesday for his role as an accessory in a real estate forgery case.

James Badalian, 45, pleaded guilty to felony accessory charges in connection with forged documents and was sentenced, under the terms of a plea bargain reached with prosecutors, in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Continue reading

Prosecutors arrest man who bilked soldier again

An unlicensed contractor previously arrested for taking $85,000 from the family of a National Guard soldier was arrested again this week on suspicion of violating the terms of a plea bargain, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.

Read more here, as written by Sun Staff Writer Jason Pesick.

More plea bargains in Redlands home invasion robbery of disabled resident

The last two remaining defendants in a Redlands home invasion robbery case, where a man with cerebral palsy was beaten, took plea bargains today in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Seyyed Hadi Mirlohi and Richard Lance McGee pleaded guilty to home invasion robbery, abuse of a dependant adult and theft of an elder or dependant adult before Judge Bryan Foster, confirmed Deputy District Attorney Tristan Svare.

Prosecutors said victim Steven Kile was on-board with the plea bargains.

Continue reading

Harris sentenced in macabre slaying at Perris Hill in San Bernardino

Jason Lamar Harris was sentenced to 50-years-to-life in state prison Friday for his role in the deadly stabbing and near decapitation of 22-year-old Terry Ray Taylor in 2003.

Harris, 25, pleaded guilty in March to Ray’s murder on Perris Hill in San Bernardino in May 2003. A co-defendant in the case, Amber Rose Riley, 21, is still awaiting trial.

For months before the attack, Harris and Riley, who were friends with the victim, had reportedly talked about killing a person. The night before the slaying, Riley had watched the horror movie “Satan’s School for Girls” to pump herself up, prosecutors have previously said.

Continue reading

Closing arguments in Macon trial expected Tuesday

The trial for three men accused in the deadly shooting of 20-year-old Edward Griffin at a Westside intersection is coming to a close.

Lawyers in the case are expected to begin their closing arguments in the case Tuesday in San Bernardino Superior Court, said Deputy District Attorney Lisa Rogan.

Patrick Shaun Macon, his brother Marsean Lamont Macon and Norris Anthony Crawford face charges in the gang-related shooting death of Griffin at Medical Center Drive and Ninth Street, in San Bernardino, on Feb. 9, 2007.

Continue reading

Water agency head arrested today by Public Integrity Unit

We just got word from the District Attorney’s Office that Phillip Terrence Johnson, 64, of Landers was arrested today by investigators with the Public Integrity Unit of the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.

The arrest follows a two and a half month investigation, District Attorney’s officials said. Johnson, who is president of the Big Horn Desert View Water Agency, was charged with two felony counts and one misdemeanor count of recording confidential communications.

More to come. And here it is, from colleague and Sun Staff Writer Jason Pesick.

Just updated: Mexican Mafia members sentenced

One of my colleagues here at The Sun, Joe Nelson, covered the sentencing of high-ranking Mexican Mafia members Salvador Hernandez and his brother Alfred Hernandez this morning in San Bernardino Superior Court.

(Here’s the link to Joe’s coverage of the sentencing, as promised.)

Salvador Hernandez, 43, was sentenced to 10 years in state prison, while Alfred Hernandez, 39, was received nine years. They both received credit for 722 days, about two years, already served in custody.

The case is connected to a narcotics sweep in December 2006 in San Bernardino which targeted a local drug ring that authorities said was overseen by the Mexican Mafia. More than 43 people were arrested in the sweep across the city.

Continue reading

Update: Hearing for El Patio shooting suspects continued to Sept. 5

A preliminary hearing for two men accused of the deadly shooting a 19-year-old woman outside of the El Patio nightclub in Rialto got underway Thursday afternoon but won’t be completed until next week, according to court records.

The hearing for defandants Jose Vizcarra and Nefi Bogard Tejeda, who are suspected in the death of Brizeida Campos of Rialto, will resume at 1:30 p.m. Friday in Fontana Superior Court, the records indicate.

Campos was with a group of friends who became involved in the fight outside the club that escalated into a shooting on Apr. 16, 2007.

Continue reading

Mexican Mafia members to be sentenced this morning in drug case

Two defendants who pleaded guilty in a major narcotics case aimed at the Mexican Mafia’s grip on San Bernardino are set to be sentenced this morning in San Bernardino Superior Court.

We’ll have updates for you when the sentencing gets underway.

High-ranking Mexican Mafia members Salvador Hernandez, 43, and his brother Alfred Hernandez, 39, each pleaded guilty, under the terms of a plea bargain struck in April, to one count of attempted murder with a street gang enhancement.

Continue reading