Sheriff’s deputy accused of death threats, gun charges returns to work

20174-Heverly mug-thumb-300x375.jpg

A San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy facing criminal charges for allegedly holding a gun to a man’s head while off duty has returned to work at West Valley Detention Center.

Richard Heverly, of La Verne, was placed on paid administrative leave following his Aug. 10 arrest in Riverside County.

He returned to work at the jail’s transportation division on Nov. 4, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Beavers.

At about 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 10, tow-truck driver Roger Gilstrap saw a big-rig truck on fire on the 10 Freeway near Eagle Mountain Road, about 50 miles east of Indio.

Gilstrap positioned his truck to block off lanes affected by the burning big rig and called the California Highway Patrol from his cell phone, according to the arrest declaration in Heverly’s court file.

Click here to view the complete one-page arrest declaration (PDF)

While Gilstrap was on the phone with the CHP, Heverly, 42, pulled up beside him in a red Dodge truck.

Heverly flashed his sheriff’s department badge and told Gilstrap, “This entitles me to do whatever the (expletive) I want,” according to the arrest declaration, which was written by a CHP officer.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Prosecutors rest cases against two men in Cee Vee shooting deaths

Lawyers in the trial for two men suspected in the robbery and deadly shooting of a Highland store owner and his clerk rested their cases this week. Proceedings resume Monday, as jurors await closing arguments.

Deputy District Attorney Dan Detienne rested his case against Christopher Turelle White and Darwin Lamont Richardson on Monday morning in San Bernardino Superior Court, according to court records.

The defendants face charges in the deaths of Steve Hall, 54, and 25-year-old Brian Gregorio at Cee Vee Liquor and Couch Potato Video, in Highland, in March 2005.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Barstow trial delayed for suspect in aspiring rapper’s death

The criminal trial for a Riverside man, who was charged with the execution-style shooting death of an aspiring rapper, has been delayed by prosecutors so they continue an ongoing investigation in the case.

Officially, prosecutors dimissed charges – and then re-filed them – against Dudzai Prosper Pswatai in the death of 24-year-old Robert Raymond Mastrangelo, of San Bernardino, in Barstow Superior Court, Deputy District Attorney Shannon Faherty confirmed by telephone Wednesday.

The refiling of charges starts the case over from the beginning, Faherty explained. Pswatai is set to return to court Dec. 2. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Dec. 4, she said.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

San Bernardino family remembers slain son, awaits trial

By Michael Sorba on November 23, 2008 7:15 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

The scent of his cologne wafted on the air as the woman removed clothing from each drawer of the dresser and packed it into cardboard boxes. It had been almost 2 years since the dresser had been touched.

The memory of Curve cologne was bittersweet for Michelle Ramirez, but she needed no reminders of her son Anthony’s death. That is with her always.

“He would always bug me for that cologne,” she reminisced with a sad smile. “And Red Zone deodorant. He loved that.”

Things have not gone well for the Ramirez family of San Bernardino since 11-year-old Anthony Ramirez was shot in the back and killed on June 21, 2006, as he played basketball with his brothers and friends on the playground of Martin Luther King Junior Middle School. His brother Joseph, then 13, was shot in the hand. A High Desert teenager is awaiting trial in Anthony’s killing.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Prosecutors decline to charge deputy in fatal Victorville shooting

By Melissa Pinion Whitt on November 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

A sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed a suspected gang member in July was cleared of criminal charges Tuesday because the suspect pointed a gun at the deputy several times, prosecutors said.

San Bernardino County sheriff’s Deputy Kent E. Watson feared for his safety when Ibn Rasheed Jones climbed a fence and reached for a gun he had dropped, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office said.

“The fatal shooting of Ibn Jones was a justifiable homicide by a public officer in the performance of his duties. No reasonable jury could find otherwise,” prosecutors wrote in the report.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email