A 54-year-old landscaper accused of raping a mentally impaired 15-year-old Montclair girl accepted a plea bargain from prosecutors Thursday that includes a six-year prison sentence.
In testimony during a preliminary hearing last week in West Valley Superior Court, the 15-year-old girl said Isaac Berbel Calderon coerced her into his truck in October, then raped her a local motel.
Testimony was set to continue Thursday morning in Calderon’s case, but Calderon decided instead to accept the plea offer from prosecutors.
Calderon, of Chino, pleaded no contest to a single count of committing a lewd or lascivious act on a child under 14 years old.
The four felony counts originally filed against Calderon were dismissed as part of the plea deal.
If he had been convicted on those counts, he could have faced a prison sentence of up to 27 years.
The girl testified last week that Calderon called out to her as she walked home Oct. 7 from her school bus stop near Kingsley Street and Pradera Avenue in Montclair.
He insisted that she get into his truck, and she complied after initially refusing, she testified. He told her he would take her to see animals, she testified.
He instead drove her to a local motel and raped her. He gave her four dollars when he dropped her off at her home, and told her not to tell anyone about the incident, the girl testified.
“I want to put him in jail because he did this to me,” the girl testified last week.
Deputy District Attorney Karen Schmauss said after the hearing that the girl and her family said they were satisfied with the length of Calderon’s prison sentence.
“To have it over with I’m sure will be a relief to the family,” Schmauss said. “It’s a good result for everybody.”
Calderon must return to court for his sentencing hearing on Feb. 19.
After Calderon serves his prison sentence, he may be deported back to his native country of Mexico, Schmauss said.