SAN BERNARDINO – Emotions ran high Monday at the trial for two brothers accused of beating to death a 63-year-old man at a Westside convenience store.
A woman in the courtroom gallery reacted with a loud “wow” as prosecutors played for San Bernardino Superior Court jurors a video from a security camera that showed Nathan Macon being punched several times.
Moments later, another woman erupted into tears and was yelling as she left the courtroom. Loud sobs and yelling could be heard in the hallway.
The reaction came while the owner of Jimmy’s Food Store – the trial’s first witness – testified about the March 2010 deadly confrontation with Macon and the defendants, San Bernardino residents Jerome Walker and Milton Walker, then 22 and 21. Continue reading →
Two Rialto men are back in court next month in the beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow on Opening Day at Dodger Stadium.
Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood appeared Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court, where they are set to return Nov. 4 to schedule the date for a preliminary hearing, according to sports news web site ESPN.com.
At a preliminary hearing, a judge listens to witness testimony to determine if sufficient evidence exists to support the charges and hold over the defendants for trial.
Stow, 42, and a father of two, remains hospitalized after he was beaten in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium as fans left the Opening Day game.
A San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy suspected of beating his girlfriend in Beaumont and then holding police at bay before his arrest returned to work at the Sheriff’s Department less than a week after the incident.
Alfredo Lopez, 32, was released Sept. 22 from Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside and was cleared to come back to work late last week, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Bachman. He is assigned to Central Detention Center in San Bernardino.
“Our policy does not prohibit an employee from working during the legal process,” Bachman said. “In this case, we understand he’s facing misdemeanor charges.”
Beaumont police received a call at 2:53 a.m. Sept. 18 regarding a domestic dispute in the 1300 block of Bird of Paradise Court. Lopez fled the residence by the time officers arrived. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – Two of the three people accused of killing a mentally challenged Rancho Cucamonga man in July will need new attorneys because they could face the possible death penalty or life in state prison.
The trio – Antonio Marquis Eubanks, his half-brother John Fitzgerald Dozier and Crystal Ann Carmelo, Dozier’s wife – appeared before Judge Kenneth Barr Thursday in San Bernardino Superior Court where the new lawyers were discussed.
Prosecutors allege the three defendants killed Matthew Thomas Cook, 29, in July at a San Bernardino apartment building for financial gain. Cook was beaten to death and left in a trash can, say San Bernardino police. Continue reading →