After a six-month investigation, sheriff’s detectives have arrested a man and woman from Apple Valley in the shooting death of 19-year-old Raquel Rayas at Deep Creek.
Sheriff’s detectives say the two suspects, Joseph Villa and Angela Lucia Sanchez, knew the victim. But detectives did not release any motive that the pair may have had in Rayas’ death, said Cindy Bachman, a sheriff’s spokeswoman.
Villa, 23, and Sanchez, 38, pleaded not guilty to murder charges at their arraignments Wednesday in Victorville Superior Court, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – A judge dismissed criminal charges this morning against Andrew Eloy Lozano, a local member of the Vagos motorcycle club who was arrested last month in a law enforcement sweep across Southern California.
At a scheduled preliminary hearing for Lozano in San Bernardino Superior Court, Judge James Dorr ruled that prosecutors presented insufficient evidence to hold Lozano for trial on charges of possessing body armor and participating in a criminal street gang.
“The court finds there is insufficient evidence as to both counts and the allegation,” Dorr said during the proceedings. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO — Prosecutors delivered their opening remarks Monday in the trial for two young men who repeatedly struck an elderly San Bernardino woman with hammers while ransacking her home for money and other valuables.
“Storma Del’Andrae, who is 87 years old, was murdered for a handful of cash, a suitcase and some costume jewelry,” said Deputy District Attorney Tristan Svare. “That’s what this case is all about.”
The prosecution’s opening remarks came just prior to witness testimony in San Bernardino Superior Court. Defense lawyers reserved their statements for later in the trial. Each defendant has his own jury. Continue reading →
A Claremont mother and son are among four people named in a federal indictment alleging they operated a money laundering scheme related to the distribution of a powerful cough syrup nicknamed “purple drank.”
A trial is set to begin November 29 for Lucita Uy, 70, and her 42-year-old son, Lemuel Libunao, both of Claremont, in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, according to a statement Friday from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles.
Two defendants from Texas appeared Friday in U.S. District Court in Houston. Continue reading →
Two young men who beat to death a counselor at a Yucaipa group home in 2009 with a closet dowel were sentenced today to state prison.
A jury recently found Carlos Dubose and Davion Whitmore guilty of murder charges in the 2009 death of counselor George Onyango at Aiming High Treatment Center on Fifth Place in Yucaipa. They were charged as adults.
Friday in San Bernardino Superior Court, Judge Duke Rouse sentenced Dubose, who was 17 at the time of the attack, to life in state prison with the possibility of parole plus another life sentence, said Deputy District Attorney Beth Houser. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – A former Rialto schoolteacher, who pleaded guilty in July to giving drugs to a teenager, is back in county jail after he allegedly violated the terms of his probation.
Michael Jacob Edmondson of Rancho Cucamonga is scheduled for a probation violation hearing Nov. 17 before Judge Kyle Brodie in San Bernardino Superior Court, according to court records.
Deputy District Attorney Melissa Rodriguez, who prosecuted Edmondson’s case, confirmed Wednesday that he is scheduled for the hearing. However, Rodriguez had not yet received a report from law enforcement, so she did not have details about Edmondson’s arrest, she said. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – Prosecutors amended the charges against a local member of the Vagos motorcycle club, who was arrested during a sweep in October, to include a 1980 conviction in Idaho in the strangulation of a 19-year-old woman.
Thomas Henry Gibson of San Bernardino appeared Tuesday before Judge Michael Dest in San Bernardino Superior Court, where prosecutors announced the newly amended charges, according to court records. Gibson pleaded not guilty to the charges.
With the addition of the prior conviction, the 60-year-old Gibson is now being held at West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, in lieu of $350,000 bail – an increase of $100,000.
Gibson is one of several San Bernardino County members of the Vagos arrested last month in a sweep conducted by state and local authorities. Drugs, weapons and body armor were seized during the raid, agents from the California Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement said. Continue reading →
In a rare move, federal prosecutors have agreed to return materials to a Rancho Cucamonga developer that were seized in September as part of an investigation into alleged corruption surrounding the $102 million lawsuit settlement between Colonies Partners LP and San Bernardino County.
The materials were seized by FBI agents serving search warrants at the offices and home of developer Jeff Burum, Colonies co-managing partner, and looking into alleged bribery and conspiracy related to the landmark 2006 settlement.
Stephen Larson, Burum’s attorney and a former federal judge, argued in the days after the Sept. 15 search that agents erred by taking documents and other materials not covered under the warrant. Continue reading →
A jury has found a Montclair man guilty of lesser charges after a meeting with his estranged wife last year erupted into violence and he ran down the woman with a GMC Yukon outside a Chino auto parts store.
Jurors in the trial for Carlos Briseno returned verdicts late Friday in Chino Superior Court, finding him guilty of attempted voluntary manslaughter for the horror he inflicted on 41-year-old Martha Briseno.
Carlos Briseno was also found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon — the SUV — and inflicting corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, court records state. He returns to court Nov. 30 for sentencing.
SAN BERNARDINO — A series of motions filed by the lawyers representing Old Fire suspect Rickie Lee Fowler were continued for another several weeks.
Fowler, 30, appeared today in San Bernardino Superior Court for a scheduled hearing for two motions, one which seeks to dismiss the indictment against Fowler and another which aims to recuse the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office from prosecuting the case in favor of state prosecutors.
The 170-page dismissal motion alleges prosecutors failed to present exculpatory evidence – which tends to show a person should not be indicted – to a criminal Grand Jury assembled in August 2009 to hear witness testimony about the wildfire. Continue reading →