Former Rialto teacher back in jail

SAN BERNARDINO – A former Rialto schoolteacher, who pleaded guilty in July to giving drugs to a teenager, is back in county jail after he allegedly violated the terms of his probation.

Michael Jacob Edmondson of Rancho Cucamonga is scheduled for a probation violation hearing Nov. 17 before Judge Kyle Brodie in San Bernardino Superior Court, according to court records.

Deputy District Attorney Melissa Rodriguez, who prosecuted Edmondson’s case, confirmed Wednesday that he is scheduled for the hearing. However, Rodriguez had not yet received a report from law enforcement, so she did not have details about Edmondson’s arrest, she said.
Continue reading

Court orders Ontario dispensary to close

Liset Mrquez, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/20/2011 12:03:54 PM PDT

RANCHO CUCAMONGA – City officials have reached agreement with the landlord to evict a medical-marijuana dispensary that has operated in the city for two weeks without a business license.

The landlord of a shopping center at 856 S. Mountain Ave. agreed Thursday to evict the tenant, HPMC, also known as Holistic Pain Management Center, which was order closed by the city Wednesday.

City Attorney John Brown said the landlord is expected to serve a notice to the dispensary no later than next week.
Continue reading

Two Vagos motorcycle club members seek lower bail

SAN BERNARDINO – Four local members of the Vagos motorcycle club, who were arrested earlier this month in a raid across Southern California, appeared before a Superior Court judge Tuesday.

Two of the men, Thomas Henry Gibson and Andrew Eloy Lozano, sought bail reviews by Judge Michael Dest in San Bernardino Superior Court to have their bail reduced.

Lozano’s lawyer Mark McDonald, who substituted-in to represent Gibson, 60, of San Bernardino, told the court that Gibson is being held in lieu of $250,000 bail.

But based on his client’s charges of possession of marijuana for sale and participation in a criminal street gang, McDonald argued that $50,000-100,000 bail “is more appropriate.”
Continue reading

Three arraigned in Vagos raid

SAN BERNARDINO – Three San Bernardino County members of the Vagos motorcycle gang were arraigned Friday in connection with the drug and weapons raid connected on Thursday.

A fourth member from Oak Hills has a warrant for his arrest and remains at-large, while a fifth member from Ontario was arrested and remained uncharged as of Friday.

Scott Randall Rivera and Scott Randall Rivera, both of San Bernardino, and Andrew Eloy Lozano of Fontana appeared for arraignment, via a video link, in San Bernardino Superior Court.
Continue reading

Vagos gang crackdown nets arrests, weapons, drugs

By Mike Cruz, The (San Bernardino County) Sun
Posted: 10/06/2011 03:46:10 PM PDT

Hundreds of weapons, including an anti-tank gun and a rocket launcher, methamphetamine and cocaine were seized Thursday when several members of the Vagos motorcylce gang were arrested during a seven-county sweep across Southern California.

State agents say 52 search warrants and 12 arrest warrants were served Thursday, resulting in nine actual arrests and targeting the “upper echelon” of the Vagos. Five of the arrests occurred in San Bernardino County.

At a news conference at San Bernardino Police Department, law enforcement officials said the investigation started 18 months ago when they began looking into a narcotics trafficking ring.

That investigation grew to include other alleged crimes by Vagos members, such as solicitation of murder, receiving stolen property, auto theft, perjury, extortion, robbery and rape, state agents said.
Continue reading

Two co-defendants in ‘Devil’s Professor’ drug trafficking case entered not guilty pleas

Two co-defendants in the “Devil’s Professor” methamphetamine trafficking case entered not-guilty pleas Tuesday to conspiracy charges.

Chelsea Marie Johnson, 34, and Eric Cortez, 31, both of Redlands, entered the pleas and denied all allegations at a formal arraignment before Judge Harold T. Wilson in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Both defendants face charges in connection with a methamphetamine trafficking ring allegedly run by Cal State San Bernardino professor Steve Kinzey.

Johnson and Cortez were ordered held on the charges after a preliminary hearing on Sept. 27. Judge Douglas Gericke ruled then that sufficient evidence was presented to hold over the defendants for trial.

Also on Tuesday, lawyer Sean O’Connor, who represents Johnson, sought a hearing to argue for a reduction in his client’s bail. She is currently being held on $150,000 bail, according to the Sheriff’s Department.
Continue reading

Two ordered held, third pleads guilty in Kinzey meth case

SAN BERNARDINO – A Redlands man and woman were ordered held on conspiracy charges at a hearing earlier this week in connection with a methemphetamine trafficking ring that was allegedly run by Cal State professor Steve Kinzey.

Co-defendants in the case, Chelsea Marie Johnson and Eric Cortez, appeared for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday before Judge Douglas N. Gericke in San Bernardino Superior Court, according to court records.

After listening to testimony from three witnesses, Gericke ruled that sufficient evidence existed to hold over the pair for trial, court records state.
Continue reading

San Bernardino police officer speaks out against plea agreement

By Joe Nelson, Staff Writer

Article Launched: 10/25/2008 10:13:29 PM PDT

A San Bernardino police sergeant Saturday criticized county prosecutors for pleading out a murder conspiracy case to two San Manuel tribal members that may enable them to serve house arrest and probation.

It is the first time a ranking San Bernardino police officer has spoken out publicly against the plea agreement struck in April between prosecutors and members of San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Stacy Nunez-Barajas and her brother, Erik Barajas.

Nunez-Barajas, 26, and her brother, 35, pleaded guilty to attempted murder with a gang enhancement and assault with a deadly weapon with a gang enhancement, respectively. They are facing six months to a year of house arrest and probation. They are scheduled for sentencing Nov. 6 in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Sgt. Steve Filson, a 27-year veteran of the San Bernardino Police Department who worked a seven-month joint investigation with federal drug agents in 2006 targeting the Mexican Mafia’s methamphetamine rackets in the Inland Empire, said he would have liked to have seen the case go to trial.
Continue reading

Trial begins for man in Yucaipa double homicide

Lawyers gave their opening statements this morning in the trial for Alberto Oropeza Delgadillo who is charged with the execution-style shooting of two men in Yucaipa over a drug debt nearly two years ago.

Proceedings are underway in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Authorities say Delgadillo drove two men, 31-year-old Salvador Felix and Pedro Sanchez, 53, from the Los Angeles area to a desolate turnout on Live Oak Canyon Road, about a mile south of the 10 Freeway, and shot them both in the head on Dec. 18, 2006.

Nearby residents heard the gunshots and called Sheriff’s deputies. A Chevrolet Astro van was seen leaving the location.
Continue reading

Defendant in Mexican Mafia drug sweep in San Bernardino sentenced to prison

A woman who initially faced probation after pleading guilty to charges in a major narcotics case aimed at Mexican Mafia drug operations was sentenced Thursday to six years in state prison.

Janette Amaya, 50, was expecting to get probation in the 2006 Mexican Mafia case when San Bernardino Police arrested her during a vehicle stop with her daughter on June 12.

Police found Amaya with a “significant amount” of cash while her 18-year-old daughter, Jeanette Gutierrez, had almost 13 grams of heroin, according to prosecutors.


Janette Amaya attends a recent hearing in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Continue reading