Joe Nelson, The (San Bernardino County) Sun
Posted: 10/04/2011 01:59:35 PM PDT
Federal search warrants served at the home and business of Rancho Cucamonga developer Jeff Burum were unconstitutionally overbroad and vague, according to a motion filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Riverside.
Burum’s attorney, Stephen G. Larson, is demanding that all of Burum’s property seized during the Sept. 15 FBI and IRS raid immediately be returned to him.
The warrants were served at nine locations in San Bernardino and Riverside counties in connection with a sweeping corruption scandal involving allegations of bribery, extortion and fraud, according to the federal search warrant.
The allegations stem from a $102 million legal settlement between the county and Burum’s development consortium, Colonies Partners LP, in November 2006. Continue reading →
Neil Nisperos, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/03/2011 12:25:41 PM PDT
A federal investigation into the practices of two San Bernardino County tax service companies has resulted in one of the largest indictments issued for tax fraud, federal officials said.
The Fontana-based Old Quest Foundation Inc. and Rancho Cucamonga-based De la Fuente and Ramirez and Associates filed false federal income tax returns containing bogus claims for refunds that sought more than $250 million, officials said.
The IRS investigation, code named “Operation Stolen Treasures,” resulted in 32 federal indictments that name a total of 55 defendants. Nearly half were arraigned in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana. Continue reading →
Former taxpayer advocate Gregory Eyler, one of several people suspected of political malfeasance and fraud in the San Bernardino County Assessor’s Office, has been scheduled for a jury trial in January.
Eyler appeared for a pretrial hearing on Wednesday before Judge Michael Smith in San Bernardino Superior Court.
The trial was set to start Jan.30. Smith said he was “treating this as a firm date.” An assignment calendar date, to ensure the case is ready for trial, was set for Jan.27. Continue reading →
Mike Cruz, Staff Writer
Posted: 11/30/2008 09:39:05 PM PST
SAN BERNARDINO – Despite a tight budget, District Attorney Michael A. Ramos said he plans to expand a few key areas of his office, including the Cold Case Unit and environmental- fraud prosecution, with existing resources in 2009.
Like other San Bernardino County department leaders, Ramos has had to find ways to address a growing list of needs with manpower he already has in a tough economic environment. Adding more people isn’t an option.
Ramos announced a hiring freeze three weeks ago but has avoided layoffs, he said in a telephone interview last week. Nevertheless, the county’s top prosecutor believes he already has the people to tackle new goals in the new year. Continue reading →
A man who fraudulently collected signatures for a Colton voter initiative faces is scheduled to appear for sentencing Thursday in San Bernardino Superior Court.
Joon Il Kim, 30, pleaded no contest last month to charges of filing a false affidavit. He is expected to be sentenced to three months in jail.
Kim, a former Los Angeles resident, was alleged to have forged more than 300 signatures on a Colton petition that sought to limit locations for metal-shredding facilities, according to the District Attorney’s Office. Continue reading →