By Mike Cruz on December 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) |
Upland businessman Mark Anthony Leggio and three other co-defendants entered not guilty pleas today in San Bernardino Superior Court during an arraignment on charges of alleged illegal campaign contributions in state political races.
Prior to the arraignment, Judge Bryan Foster denied a defense motion to dismiss the charges based on a late filing of an amended indictment by prosecutors. But prosecutors responded that they were simply complying with a deadline set by the court.
Foster responded that no specific date had been given, and that he “would try to be more specific in the future.” Continue reading →
Mike Cruz, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/02/2008 09:26:45 PM PST
Upland businessman Mark Anthony Leggio has tentatively agreed to settle allegations of campaign contribution violations with the state.
However, any impact of the settlement on his criminal case in San Bernardino County remains to be seen, said Riverside County prosecutors who are pursuing the case after the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office bowed out, citing a conflict of interest.
“I don’t believe there will be any (impact),” said Riverside County Deputy District Attorney Michael Cabral when asked about the settlement with the state Fair Political Practices Commission. Continue reading →
Lawyers in the political corruption case against former assistant assessor Adam Aleman received additional evidence during an appearance this morning in Superior Court.
Aleman, who wore jeans and a blue golf shirt, stood next his lawyer Grover Porter during proceedings before Judge John Martin in San Bernardino Superior Court.
“We’re under the impression that there’s supposed to be some additional discovery here in court,” Porter told Martin, during the proceedings. A court clerk gave Martin manila envelopes, which appeared to be full of documents, and who then gave one each to the lawyers. Continue reading →
Lori Consalvo, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 11/10/2008 10:04:46 PM PST
A Rancho Cucamonga couple are facing a 75-count federal indictment on charges of bribery, money laundering and other charges for accepting payments to adjust the immigration status of aliens, officials said.
Constantine Kallas, a senior attorney with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and his wife, Maria Kallas, were originally arrested on June 26, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
They were originally indicted July 9 on charges of bribery and aiding and abetting. But further investigation led to more charges. The 75 counts, which were added by a federal grand jury on Oct. 29, include fraud and misuse of entry documents, false statements on foreign labor-certification petitions and federal workers’ compensation fraud, Eimiller said. Continue reading →
Former Assistant Assessor Adam Aleman appeared briefly in Superior Court Tuesday for a status hearing on his case stemming from what authorities say were his attempts to mislead a grand jury investigation.
The 25-year-old Aleman stood beside his lawyer Grover Porter as the court continued proceedings to November in San Bernardino Superior Court. Prosecutors are still awaiting more discovery, or evidence in the case, Judge John Martin told the court.
Accompanied to court by fiancee Kelly Kuntz, Aleman is scheduled to return to court Nov. 19.
SAN BERNARDINO – A son of former San Bernardino County Sheriff Floyd Tidwell and seven other defendants are scheduled to appear in court today for an arraignment on charges stemming from the county’s bail bonds investigation.
The defendants, who were indicted by a special criminal grand jury in December, are accused of participating in a scheme using jail inmates to help corner the county’s market on bail bonds from 2001 to 2003, according to court records
The appearance today in San Bernardino Superior Court is for the defendant’s arraigment on charges of two counts of conspiracy relating to unlawful solicitation of bail bonds and one count of unlawful solicitation of bail bonds.