A man who raped and killed a female Redlands High student in 1977 is seeking parole at a hearing Wednesday in Blythe.
Family members of 15-year-old Paula Hernandez are doing whatever they can to keep the teen’s killer, John Wilton Zenc, behind bars. They will be attending the hearing at Ironwood State Prison, where Zenc is currently housed.
“I don’t want this to happen to another family,” said Ruth Lopez, Paula’s sister. Zenc, now 54, has hired an attorney in his bid to get paroled, Lopez said. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – A judge dismissed criminal charges this morning against Andrew Eloy Lozano, a local member of the Vagos motorcycle club who was arrested last month in a law enforcement sweep across Southern California.
At a scheduled preliminary hearing for Lozano in San Bernardino Superior Court, Judge James Dorr ruled that prosecutors presented insufficient evidence to hold Lozano for trial on charges of possessing body armor and participating in a criminal street gang.
“The court finds there is insufficient evidence as to both counts and the allegation,” Dorr said during the proceedings. Continue reading →
SAN BERNARDINO – A Redlands man and woman were ordered held on conspiracy charges at a hearing earlier this week in connection with a methemphetamine trafficking ring that was allegedly run by Cal State professor Steve Kinzey.
Co-defendants in the case, Chelsea Marie Johnson and Eric Cortez, appeared for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday before Judge Douglas N. Gericke in San Bernardino Superior Court, according to court records.
After listening to testimony from three witnesses, Gericke ruled that sufficient evidence existed to hold over the pair for trial, court records state. Continue reading →
By Mike Cruz on November 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) |
A man suspected in a San Bernardino-area double homicide is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Thursday to determine whether the case will proceed to trial.
Javier Joaquin Luque appeared briefly before Judge Michael Dest in San Bernardino Superior Court as lawyers in the case confirmed their readiness for the hearing.
Luque was charged in the deaths of Ronald Jaramillo and Elizabeth Amaya, both of San Bernardino, who were shot in a Chevrolet Tahoe on First Avenue near 40th Street in unincorporated San Bernardino on Sept. 6, 2006.