Rancho Cucamonga man sentenced for workers compensation fraud

Posted: 10/07/2011 06:16:20 PM PDT

The president of a Rancho Cucamonga company was sentenced last month to probation and fines for Worker’s Compensation fraud.

Anthony Perry, president of Perry Roofing was ordered on Sept. 30 to pay $15,000 to the California Department of Insurance, and $670 in restitution to the State Compensation Insurance Fund.

The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s office started an investigation in August of last year after getting information that Perry was under reporting payroll and employees.

Investigators then served a search warrant at the business in February of 2010, according to a District Attorney’s news release.

An investigation determined that Perry was paying an employee cash and misrepresenting the number of employees to his insurance company in order to get a lower premium, according to the release.

jannise.johnson@inlandnewspapers.com

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Vagos gang crackdown nets arrests, weapons, drugs

By Mike Cruz, The (San Bernardino County) Sun
Posted: 10/06/2011 03:46:10 PM PDT

Hundreds of weapons, including an anti-tank gun and a rocket launcher, methamphetamine and cocaine were seized Thursday when several members of the Vagos motorcylce gang were arrested during a seven-county sweep across Southern California.

State agents say 52 search warrants and 12 arrest warrants were served Thursday, resulting in nine actual arrests and targeting the “upper echelon” of the Vagos. Five of the arrests occurred in San Bernardino County.

At a news conference at San Bernardino Police Department, law enforcement officials said the investigation started 18 months ago when they began looking into a narcotics trafficking ring.

That investigation grew to include other alleged crimes by Vagos members, such as solicitation of murder, receiving stolen property, auto theft, perjury, extortion, robbery and rape, state agents said.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Assistant AG Schons to retire, take new job

Joe Nelson, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/06/2011 07:11:55 PM PDT

Senior state Assistant Attorney General Gary Schons will retire at the end of the month and will begin a new job at the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, officials from both offices said.

San Bernardino County Assistant District Attorney Jim Hackleman also is retiring. His last day is Friday.

Schons and Hackleman oversaw the prosecution of Rancho Cucamonga developer Jeff Burum and three former county officials in a sweeping corruption scandal tied to a $102 million legal settlement between the county and Burum’s development consortium, Colonies Partners LP. In a joint prosecution, the District Attorney’s and state Attorney General’s offices allege the settlement was tainted by bribery and extortion.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Dozens in Inland Empire indicted in huge tax fraud scheme

Neil Nisperos, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/03/2011 12:25:41 PM PDT

A federal investigation into the practices of two San Bernardino County tax service companies has resulted in one of the largest indictments issued for tax fraud, federal officials said.

The Fontana-based Old Quest Foundation Inc. and Rancho Cucamonga-based De la Fuente and Ramirez and Associates filed false federal income tax returns containing bogus claims for refunds that sought more than $250 million, officials said.

The IRS investigation, code named “Operation Stolen Treasures,” resulted in 32 federal indictments that name a total of 55 defendants. Nearly half were arraigned in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Deputy charged in domestic dispute returns to work

Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff Writer
Posted: 09/29/2011 02:41:21 PM PDT

A San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy suspected of beating his girlfriend in Beaumont and then holding police at bay before his arrest returned to work at the Sheriff’s Department less than a week after the incident.

Alfredo Lopez, 32, was released Sept. 22 from Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside and was cleared to come back to work late last week, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Bachman. He is assigned to Central Detention Center in San Bernardino.

“Our policy does not prohibit an employee from working during the legal process,” Bachman said. “In this case, we understand he’s facing misdemeanor charges.”

Beaumont police received a call at 2:53 a.m. Sept. 18 regarding a domestic dispute in the 1300 block of Bird of Paradise Court. Lopez fled the residence by the time officers arrived.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email