Leggio arraigned in illegal campaign contributions case in San Bernardino

By Mike Cruz on December 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

Upland businessman Mark Anthony Leggio and three other co-defendants entered not guilty pleas today in San Bernardino Superior Court during an arraignment on charges of alleged illegal campaign contributions in state political races.

Prior to the arraignment, Judge Bryan Foster denied a defense motion to dismiss the charges based on a late filing of an amended indictment by prosecutors. But prosecutors responded that they were simply complying with a deadline set by the court.

Foster responded that no specific date had been given, and that he “would try to be more specific in the future.”
Continue reading

Settlement reached in illegal campaign contributions case

Mike Cruz, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/02/2008 09:26:45 PM PST

Upland businessman Mark Anthony Leggio has tentatively agreed to settle allegations of campaign contribution violations with the state.

However, any impact of the settlement on his criminal case in San Bernardino County remains to be seen, said Riverside County prosecutors who are pursuing the case after the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office bowed out, citing a conflict of interest.

“I don’t believe there will be any (impact),” said Riverside County Deputy District Attorney Michael Cabral when asked about the settlement with the state Fair Political Practices Commission.
Continue reading

Charges against prominent local auto dealer owner must be refiled

Three perjury charges filed against an influential Republican auto dealership owner must be refiled in a case alleging illegal campaign contributions, a Superior Court judge ordered.

Judge Bryan Foster agreed with the defense Friday that three perjury charges against defendant Mark Anthony Leggio were not specific enough about what was being alleged, officials said today.

Leggio’s lawyer, Thomas J. Warwick Jr., could not be reached for comment today.

Continue reading