Walker brothers found guilty in Westside beating death of 63-year-old man

SAN BERNARDINO — A jury found two young men guilty Wednesday in the beating death of 63-year-old Nathan Macon during a fight at a San Bernardino convenience store.

Jurors found Milton Walker, and his brother, Jerome Walker, guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of Macon last year at Jimmy’s Food Store, near Base Line and Medical Center Drive.

The Walkers, in their early 20s at the time Macon was killed, are scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 2. A key piece of trial evidence – a security video recorded from inside the store – showed the Walkers punching a drunken Macon after he had yelled threats.

Family members of the victim cried and hugged eachother upon hearing the verdicts.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Trial begins in deadly beating at Westside San Bernardino store

SAN BERNARDINO – Emotions ran high Monday at the trial for two brothers accused of beating to death a 63-year-old man at a Westside convenience store.

A woman in the courtroom gallery reacted with a loud “wow” as prosecutors played for San Bernardino Superior Court jurors a video from a security camera that showed Nathan Macon being punched several times.

Moments later, another woman erupted into tears and was yelling as she left the courtroom. Loud sobs and yelling could be heard in the hallway.

The reaction came while the owner of Jimmy’s Food Store – the trial’s first witness – testified about the March 2010 deadly confrontation with Macon and the defendants, San Bernardino residents Jerome Walker and Milton Walker, then 22 and 21.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Trial begins in deadly Westside beating

SAN BERNARDINO – The trial began Tuesday for two brothers accused of fatally beating a 63-year-old man after police say he held open a door for them at Jimmy’s Food Market on the city’s Westside.

Prosecutors and attorneys for Jerome Walker, 24, and Milton Walker, 23, argued several motions in San Bernardino Superior Court to decide whether some evidence would go before the jury.

The Walkers are charged with murder in the death of Nathan Macon last year.

The defense sought to allow Macon’s police citations for being drunk in public be used at trial, as well as evidence of violent acts involving family members.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Sentencing set for Thursday in deadly San Bernardino shooting

By Mike Cruz on December 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

The sentencing hearing for a man convicted in the deadly San Bernardino shooting of 20-year-old Eddie Griffin was postponed to Thursday, according to prosecutors.

Patrick Shaun Macon was set to be sentenced Tuesday in San Bernardino Superior Court, but Macon’s lawyer, James Gass, was unavailable because he was in trial.

At a hearing in October, Gass told a judge that he wanted to respond in writing to a county Probation Department pre-sentencing report which recommended the maximum sentence for Macon. His client has no criminal record, Gass said.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Update: Macon sentencing postponed in San Bernardino death

The sentencing for man convicted in the deadly shooting of 20-year-old Edward Griffin was postponed to Nov. 12 during proceedings Monday in San Bernardino Superior Court.

Patrick Shaun Macon appeared briefly Judge Ronald Christianson when lawyers announced the sentencing would be rescheduled.

For more details about the case, read earlier posts from The Sun’s “Inland Empire Courts” blog:

Man convicted in death of Edward Griffin to be sentenced Monday

Jury returns split verdicts today in Macon/Crawford trial

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email