Killer of Redlands teen denied parole

A man who raped and killed a Redlands High student in 1977 was denied parole during a hearing at a state prison in Blythe.

A parole board determined that John Wilton Zenc was “unsuitable” for release on parole during proceedings Wednesday at Ironwood State Prison, confirmed Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Dawson.

Zenc, now 54, was convicted of raping and killing 15-year-old Paula Hernandez, as she walked home from school in March 1977.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Parole hearing Wednesday for man convicted of killing Redlands girl

A man who raped and killed a female Redlands High student in 1977 is seeking parole at a hearing Wednesday in Blythe.

Family members of 15-year-old Paula Hernandez are doing whatever they can to keep the teen’s killer, John Wilton Zenc, behind bars. They will be attending the hearing at Ironwood State Prison, where Zenc is currently housed.

“I don’t want this to happen to another family,” said Ruth Lopez, Paula’s sister. Zenc, now 54, has hired an attorney in his bid to get paroled, Lopez said.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Pair sentenced in death of Yucaipa group home counselor

Two young men who beat to death a counselor at a Yucaipa group home in 2009 with a closet dowel were sentenced today to state prison.

A jury recently found Carlos Dubose and Davion Whitmore guilty of murder charges in the 2009 death of counselor George Onyango at Aiming High Treatment Center on Fifth Place in Yucaipa. They were charged as adults.

Friday in San Bernardino Superior Court, Judge Duke Rouse sentenced Dubose, who was 17 at the time of the attack, to life in state prison with the possibility of parole plus another life sentence, said Deputy District Attorney Beth Houser.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Decades-old murder conviction raises bail for Vagos member

SAN BERNARDINO – Prosecutors amended the charges against a local member of the Vagos motorcycle club, who was arrested during a sweep in October, to include a 1980 conviction in Idaho in the strangulation of a 19-year-old woman.

Thomas Henry Gibson of San Bernardino appeared Tuesday before Judge Michael Dest in San Bernardino Superior Court, where prosecutors announced the newly amended charges, according to court records. Gibson pleaded not guilty to the charges.

With the addition of the prior conviction, the 60-year-old Gibson is now being held at West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga, in lieu of $350,000 bail – an increase of $100,000.

Gibson is one of several San Bernardino County members of the Vagos arrested last month in a sweep conducted by state and local authorities. Drugs, weapons and body armor were seized during the raid, agents from the California Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement said.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Walker brothers found guilty in Westside beating death of 63-year-old man

SAN BERNARDINO — A jury found two young men guilty Wednesday in the beating death of 63-year-old Nathan Macon during a fight at a San Bernardino convenience store.

Jurors found Milton Walker, and his brother, Jerome Walker, guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of Macon last year at Jimmy’s Food Store, near Base Line and Medical Center Drive.

The Walkers, in their early 20s at the time Macon was killed, are scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 2. A key piece of trial evidence – a security video recorded from inside the store – showed the Walkers punching a drunken Macon after he had yelled threats.

Family members of the victim cried and hugged eachother upon hearing the verdicts.
Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email