Developer Burum’s attorney says FBI searches unconstitutional

Joe Nelson, The (San Bernardino County) Sun
Posted: 10/04/2011 01:59:35 PM PDT

Federal search warrants served at the home and business of Rancho Cucamonga developer Jeff Burum were unconstitutionally overbroad and vague, according to a motion filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Riverside.

Burum’s attorney, Stephen G. Larson, is demanding that all of Burum’s property seized during the Sept. 15 FBI and IRS raid immediately be returned to him.

The warrants were served at nine locations in San Bernardino and Riverside counties in connection with a sweeping corruption scandal involving allegations of bribery, extortion and fraud, according to the federal search warrant.

The allegations stem from a $102 million legal settlement between the county and Burum’s development consortium, Colonies Partners LP, in November 2006.
Continue reading

Postmus’ attorney concerned FBI investigation may target ex-county supervisor

Joe Nelson, Staff Writer
Posted: 09/29/2011 09:38:47 PM PDT

The attorney for Bill Postmus is concerned that his client, who is cooperating with state and local prosecutors in their investigation of San Bernardino County’s $102 million legal settlement with a Rancho Cucamonga developer, could be in legal jeopardy from a federal investigation into the deal.

The former county supervisor’s name appears in a federal search warrant served Sept. 15 by roughly 100 FBI and IRS agents in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

The FBI and IRS are investigating allegations of bribery, extortion and fraud in connection with the record settlement with Rancho Cucamonga developer Colonies Partners LP, according to the warrant.

Stephen Levine, Postmus’ attorney, said he contacted prosecutor Lewis Cope, who heads the District Attorney’s Public Integrity Unit, last week to discuss the federal investigation and whether state and local prosecutors have some kind of agreement with the FBI in which Postmus would be immune from federal prosecution. The two have yet to discuss the matter.
Continue reading

Eyler gets trial date in San Bernardino County Assessor’s Office scandal

Former taxpayer advocate Gregory Eyler, one of several people suspected of political malfeasance and fraud in the San Bernardino County Assessor’s Office, has been scheduled for a jury trial in January.

Eyler appeared for a pretrial hearing on Wednesday before Judge Michael Smith in San Bernardino Superior Court.

The trial was set to start Jan.30. Smith said he was “treating this as a firm date.” An assignment calendar date, to ensure the case is ready for trial, was set for Jan.27.
Continue reading

Aleman’s lawyer receives more discovery in court

Lawyers in the political corruption case against former assistant assessor Adam Aleman received additional evidence during an appearance this morning in Superior Court.

Aleman, who wore jeans and a blue golf shirt, stood next his lawyer Grover Porter during proceedings before Judge John Martin in San Bernardino Superior Court.

“We’re under the impression that there’s supposed to be some additional discovery here in court,” Porter told Martin, during the proceedings. A court clerk gave Martin manila envelopes, which appeared to be full of documents, and who then gave one each to the lawyers.
Continue reading

Prosecutors seek more discovery in former assistant assessor’s case

Former Assistant Assessor Adam Aleman appeared briefly in Superior Court Tuesday for a status hearing on his case stemming from what authorities say were his attempts to mislead a grand jury investigation.

The 25-year-old Aleman stood beside his lawyer Grover Porter as the court continued proceedings to November in San Bernardino Superior Court. Prosecutors are still awaiting more discovery, or evidence in the case, Judge John Martin told the court.

Accompanied to court by fiancee Kelly Kuntz, Aleman is scheduled to return to court Nov. 19.

Continue reading