Man claiming to the Jim Morrison’s son turns down prosecutor’s deal in robbery trial

By Lori Consalvo, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/28/2011 06:05:18 PM PDT

RANCHO CUCAMONGA – A man claiming to be the son of famed Doors’ lead singer Jim Morrison denied a prosecutor’s offer to significantly lower his prison time on a robbery charge Friday.

Clifford Morrison, 42, could get 75 years to life if he is found guilty of robbery and ramming a police car during a chase early last year in Ontario.

San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Dinah Touny said she would take the life sentence off the table, and Morrison could have 15 years with an “end date.”

“We offered again today, on the record,” Touny said during the hearing. “It had been conveyed to the defendant’s attorney… and his attorney indicated that he was not interested.”
Continue reading

Jim Morrison’s alleged son facing life in prison

Mike Cruz, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/07/2011 04:51:25 PM PDT

A man who says he is the son of Jim Morrison, the late front man for the band the Doors, is facing charges of robbery and ramming a police car during a chase last year in Ontario.

Wearing an orange jail jumpsuit and restraints on his wrists and ankles, Clifford Marston Morrison sat in the jury box of a Rancho Cucamonga courtroom on Friday, waiting for his case to be called.

With his shoulder-length hair, strong brow and scruffy red beard and moustache, Clifford Morrison catches attention.
Continue reading

Mental competency trial begins for man in High Desert bunker killings

VICTORVILLE — A pair of mental health experts may have concluded that a West Covina man accused of the execution-style slayings of a young High Desert couple at an abandoned military bunker is mentally competent to go trial for the killings, say lawyers.
But the decision about Collin Lee McGlaughlin’s present mental competence won’t be up to the experts.

A jury began hearing witness testimony Wednesday as a trial began in Victorville Superior Court to determine whether McGlaughlin is compentent to go trial for the 2008 deaths of Christopher Cody Thompson, 18, of Apple Valley and his 16-year-old girlfriend, Bodhisattva Sherzer-Potter of Helendale.

The jury will decide whether McGlaughlin is mentally competent now, not his state of mind when the crimes occurred.

But before any witnesses testified Wednesday, lawyers for both sides delivered their opening remarks. McGlaughlin is presumed competent, and it’s up to the defense to prove otherwise.
Continue reading

Trio face capital charges in RC man’s death

SAN BERNARDINO – Two of the three people accused of killing a mentally challenged Rancho Cucamonga man in July will need new attorneys because they could face the possible death penalty or life in state prison.

The trio – Antonio Marquis Eubanks, his half-brother John Fitzgerald Dozier and Crystal Ann Carmelo, Dozier’s wife – appeared before Judge Kenneth Barr Thursday in San Bernardino Superior Court where the new lawyers were discussed.

Prosecutors allege the three defendants killed Matthew Thomas Cook, 29, in July at a San Bernardino apartment building for financial gain. Cook was beaten to death and left in a trash can, say San Bernardino police.
Continue reading

Second defendant found guilty in Cee Vee robbery, homicides

A jury found a second defendant guilty Friday in the 2005 robbery and fatal shooting of a Highland store owner and a clerk.

Jurors reached the verdicts late Thursday — three days after hearing lawyers’ closing arguments and seeing a compelling security video of the shooting, according to prosecutors.

Court personnel announced the verdicts Friday afternoon in San Bernardino Superior Court, as rows of family and friends of the victims looked on.
Continue reading

Second jury reaches verdicts in Cee Vee homicide trial

By Mike Cruz on December 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

A jury has reached verdicts for a second defendant in a Highland liquor and video store robbery in 2005 that left a store owner and clerk dead, court officials announced.

The verdicts on charges against Darwin Lamont Richardson will be read at 1:30 p.m. today in San Bernardino Superior Court. The jury reached the verdicts late yesterday, but court officials scheduled them to be announced this afternoon, said Deputy District Attorney Dan Detienne.

A separate jury, in the same case, found co-defendant Christopher Turelle White guilty on similar charges earlier this week. White was found guilty of two counts of murder, two counts of second-degree robbery and multiple special allegations, including using a firearm during the acts and committing multiple murders.
Continue reading

Verdicts reached for one defendant in Cee Vee Liquor robbery, homicides

Mike Cruz, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/02/2008 10:07:01 PM PST

It took less than a day for a jury to find Christopher Turelle White guilty on all charges in the March 2005 robbery and deadly shooting of Cee Vee Liquor store owner Steven Hall and clerk Brian Gregorio in Highland.

A separate jury was still deliberating about a second defendant, 22-year-old Darwin Lamont Richardson.

Closing arguments were given by the lawyers Monday in San Bernardino Superior Court. White’s jury reached verdicts later that day, but court officials announced the verdicts Tuesday.
Continue reading

Guilty verdicts announced in Cee Vee Liquor homicide trial

After less than a day, a jury has found Christopher Turelle White guilty on all charges in the March 2005 robbery and deadly shooting of Cee Vee Liquor store owner Steven Hall and clerk Brian Gregorio in Highland.

Lawyers are still awaiting verdicts for a second defendant, 22-year-old Darwin Lamont Richardson, who has a separate jury.

Closing arguments in the case were given by the lawyers Monday, however White’s jury reached verdicts later that day. Court officials waited until this morning to announce the verdicts in San Bernardino Superior Court.
Continue reading

Juries see Cee Vee robbery video

Joe Nelson, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/01/2008 10:06:00 PM PST

SAN BERNARDINO – The surveillance video played over and over before the juries, showing the final moments in the lives of Steve Hall and Brian Gregorio.

The two were shot to death during a notorious robbery at Cee Vee’s Liquor and Couch Potato Video in Highland the night of March 16, 2005.

Family and friends of the two victims choked back tears as the video played Monday during closing arguments in the murder trial of suspects Christoper Turelle White and Darwin Lamont Richardson in San Bernardino Superior Court.

White, the 21-year-old alleged gunman, and Richardson, 22, were tried together, but they had separate juries. Both juries heard closing arguments Monday, White’s in the morning and Richardson’s in the afternoon.
Continue reading

Casino robbery suspect ordered to Patton State Hospital

The alleged mastermind behind a $1.5 million heist at Soboba Casino last year has been ruled mentally incompetent to stand trial and ordered to a state mental health hospital.

Judge Mark A. Mandio confirmed an earlier ruling, based on reports from mental health experts, and ordered defendant Rolando Luda Ramos be committed to Patton State Hospital, near Highland, during proceedings Friday in Riverside Superior Court.

The court initially found Ramos mentally incompetent to face a 14-count criminal complaint, during proceedings on Oct. 14.

Ramos, 27, will remain at Patton for a period not to exceed three years and was credited for 539 days he has already served in custody, according to Superior Court records. The court also authorized medical personnel to administer antipsychotic medication to the defendant by a treating psychiatrist.
Continue reading