During my 16-year tenure on the Chaffey College board, expanded educational opportunities serving more students in the community included the:
* Expansion of the Chaffey College Chino campus and Fontana Center allowing students to complete their degree at these facilities.
* Continuing expansion and development of the Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga campuses.
* Easing barriers for students getting into college by taking programs to high schools.
* Introduction and encouragement of high school student participation in dual enrollment of Chaffey College courses by utilizing high school and/or community facilities.
* Bringing of the Educational Excellence Center as a one-stop shop for new and continuing students.
* Development of Chaffey College Community Linkages, bringing Omnitrans Bus Passes for the first two weeks of Chaffey College courses, involvement with local Chambers of Commerce, hosting annual breakfasts for high school counselors and continuing support of Student ambassadors at district high schools.
* Creation and expansion of the Workforce Development program allowing free, customized training for 37 employers and 1,017 employees. Through this program, the Chaffey College district area annually receives roughly $896.6 million in income due to past and present efforts of the Chaffey Workforce Development Program.
Chaffey College has an all-time enrollment of 22,000 students while facing the challenges of $7 million budget reduction due to lessened property taxes, and decreased state allocations.
These challenges are at a time as we face a reduction in CSU/UC admittance, a greatly enhanced new G.I. bill, and an increased demand for job skills training due to the economy causing increased enrollment and higher demand for our programs.
My goals for the future include: 1) expanding public/private partnerships for a highly trained workforce; 2) maintaining the college’s commitment to academic/educational cooperation with our local and international student community; 3) enhancement of our campus wide policy of service to the public.
My years of experience as a governing board member for Chaffey Community College has developed a working relationship within the areas we serve and allows the continuation of the positive growth and direction of our Chaffey College District in times of increased challenges. As the educational issues become more involved, finding effective answers will be achieved by continuing to work as a team for our students, staff, and communities!
Vote – Incumbent – Kathy Brugger, Chaffey College Governing Board Member, Nov. 3.