Lakers forward Jordan Hill ‘shocked’ by Houston assault charge

Tomorrow’s story tonight …

Lakers power forward Jordan Hill said Tuesday night he was “shocked” to learn he had been charged Monday morning with a felony assault stemming from a Feb. 29 incident with a girlfriend while he was a member of the Houston Rockets.

Hill wasn’t sure whether he’d have to appear in court in Houston.

“Right now, I’m just letting my agent and attorney take care of it and we’ll see what’s going on,” the 24-year-old Hill said before the Lakers faced the Denver Nuggets in Game 2 of their first-round playoff series at Staples Center.

“I don’t know anything. I just got a phone call and I was definitely shocked, just like everybody else was. Just gotta deal with it.”

Hill declined to comment about the charge Monday, issuing a prepared statement through the Lakers and his agent, Kevin Bradbury. But he did say he didn’t expect to miss any playoff games or practices because of his legal situation.

“I have no idea,” Hill added Tuesday. “I’m just trying to focus on the game right now. This is the playoffs. I’m trying to get a ring for the first time. I want a ring. This is the first time I’ve been in the playoffs since I’ve been in the league.

“And I just want to go out there and have fun.”

The Harris County District Attorney charged Hill with striking his girlfriend, Darlene Luna, and placing her in a chokehold after an argument at Hill’s Houston home in February. The Lakers acquired Hill from the Rockets on March 15.

“I talked to him briefly,” Lakers coach Mike Brown said of Hill, who scored 10 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in his postseason debut in Game 1 on Sunday afternoon. “I don’t know what in his mind, but I don’t think it will effect him.”

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email