Jordan Farmar optimistic about recovery

Despite learning his strained left hamstring will keep him sidelined for about four weeks, Lakers backup guard Jordan Farmar sounded optimistic about his recovery.

“It’s two weeks of being patient and letting the body do what it does,” Farmar told this newspaper. “After that, I’ll see how it feels and then begin my rehab. Hopefully it will be before four weeks, but I’ll see how it responds.”

After having an ultrasound Monday, Farmar received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his hamstring. Farmar posted a picture of the procedure on his Instagram account.

“It went all right,” Farmar said, who had averaged 9.2 points and 4.4 assists in 19 minutes before his injury. “It’s a little sore today, but hopefully that will speed it up.”

Farmar’s injury only adds more concern to the Lakers’ tenuous backcourt, including Kobe Bryant (left Achilles tendon) and Steve Nash (back). Steve Blake also has a hyperextended elbow, though it’s not considered serious enough to keep him sidelined.

Both Nash and Bryant practiced Tuesday with the hopes of returning when the Lakers (9-9) play Friday against the Sacramento Kings (4-11). But Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni stressed they won’t expedite their return for the sake of filling up their depleted backcourt.

“We can’t risk something,” D’Antoni said. “We have to do the right thing regardless of the situation.”

The Lakers will also adopt a wait-and-see approach as to filling up their 15th roster spot vacated by the recent waiving of rookie Elias Harris. The Lakers don’t have any current plans to tap into the free agency market, holding out hope that Nash and Bryant will return soon and that Blake’s elbow injury that he’s nursed recently won’t become serious.

“We’re on guard. We’ll look,” D’Antoni said. “If it makes sense, we’ll do it.”

Farmar injured his hamstring halfway through the first quarter of the Lakers’ 114-108 loss Sunday to the Portland Trail Blazers. He lasted only 56 seconds before abruptly leaving the court with Lakers trainer Gary Vitti to the locker room.

“As soon as it happened, I knew I had to come out and get it addressed,” Farmar said. “I thought I caught it early and didn’t think it was that bad. But looking at it on the ultra sound, it showed a tear.”

Follow L.A. Daily News Lakers beat writer Mark Medina on Twitter. E-mail him at

Share this post ...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterBuffer this pageShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrShare on RedditEmail this to someonePrint this page