There were a lot of things that happened in the Etiwanda-Chino Hills game. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Here’s an outline of the final seconds. After LiAngelo Ball’s 3-pointer brought Chino Hills to within 62-61 with about 1:15 to play, Jordan McLaughlin made one of two free throws in the final minute to go up 63-61. Then K.C Cyprian’s only basket of the game, a runner with 20 seconds left, tied the score for Chino Hills, 63-63. Then McLaughlin drove to the hoop again, got fouled with 6.3 seconds to play. He airballed the first free throw, made the second to go up 64-63. He then deflected a pass to Kenny Barnes, who made another free throw with one second left to make it 65-63 and Chino Hills’ desperation heave was off the mark.
- When was the last time you didn’t see either team get into the bonus until the final 10 seconds of the second half? That’s what happened. I always thought 3 officials meant more fouls, but not in this case as they let them play.
- It could have an impact down the line for the CIF-SS Open Division. This obviously gives Etiwanda a leg up into the Open Division that he doesn’t really care for. Watching the game, I firmly believe that these are 2 of the top 16 teams in the CIF-SS, but Etiwanda’s win gives the Eagles a better chance at a higher seed.
- The Ball brothers are ridiculous, but in this game, especially freshman LiAngelo. LiAngelo Ball scored 27 points, making seven 3-pointers on 15 attempts, after starting out 1-for-6 in the first half. Sometimes he was open, but many times he had a hand in his face and it didn’t matter.
- I’m still really impressed with Kameron Edwards, who is a serious force inside who had 15 points and eight rebounds against a Chino Hills team that has a team full of bigs.
Kameron Edwards 20, Jordan McLaughlin 18, Kenny Barnes 17, Dominick Alexander 5, Delewis Johnson 3, Ermest Carter 2/
CHINO HILLS (63)
LiAngelo Ball 27, Lonzo Ball 14, Bishop Mency 7, Mark Williams 7, Nnamdi Okongwu 6, K.C. Cyprian 2.
Etiwanda 20 21 12 12 — 65
Chino Hills 9 14 20 20 — 63
3-Pointers: McLaughlin (E) 3, Alexander (E), Johnson (E); Li. Ball (CH) 7, Lo. Ball (CH) 3.