FOOTBALL: Bulldogs knock of No. 2 seed

Crockom provides punch for Pasadena

688-foot_ball_8.gif

By J.P. Hoornstra, Staff Writer

ONTARIO – Pasadena High School quarterback Tyron Crockom threw for 341 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns as the Bulldogs topped Chaffey 51-46 in Friday’s CIF-SS Central Division playoff game.
The matchup looked to be out of reach for Pasadena early on as a pair of scoring runs by Deimeon Bauman and one by Travis Rossman gave Chaffey (9-2) a 24-0 lead with 8:51 to play in the second quarter.
After Pasadena (7-4) got its first score, Rossman answered with a 71-yard touchdown run to make it 30-6.
But Pasadena, the third-place team in the Pacific League, went on a 45-8 run to take a 51-38 lead with 4:47 left in the final quarter.
In contrast to the pass-happy Bulldogs, the Tigers finished with just two completions.
Pasadena’s speedy receiving corps gave Chaffey fits. Michael Harrison had three touchdown passes among his 10 receptions for 142 yards.
Arness Ikner added 156 yards on eight catches.
Chaffey trailed 51-38 with less than two minutes to play when quarterback Jacob Ahmad hit Bryan Sanchez with a 13-yard touchdown pass with 14 seconds to play. A two-point conversion run made it a five-point game.
The Tigers’ onside-kick attempt was successful and gave Ahmad 13 seconds to guide a potential game-winning drive. After an incomplete pass, Ahmad scrambled out of bounds just ahead of the 0:00 mark.
But the clock kept rolling, the officials blew the final whistle and, despite pleas from Chaffey coaches, players and the crowd, the game was over.