SOFTBALL: Escamilla in control for Alverno

Alverno pitcher strikes out nine in 2-0 win over La Salle.

7163-Escamilla-La Salle.jpg

Above: Alverno pitcher Michelle Escamilla deals a pitch against La Salle in the Jaguars’ 2-0 victory. (Correspondent photo by Larry Goren)

By Scott Galetti, Staff Writer
PASADENA – Alverno pitcher Michelle Escamilla, barely allowed to break a sweat in the Horizon League, got to face a quality opponent for the first time in a while Monday against at La Salle.
The tougher competition brought out the best in Escamilla, much to the chagrin of the Lancers.
Escamilla allowed just one hit and struck out nine in the Jaguars’ 2-0 victory.
“It’s refreshing to see a more difficult team because it’s tougher than the teams in our league,” Escamilla said. “It gives us a chance to see what type of competition we’ll see in the playoffs.”
Escamilla and the Jaguars, the No. 4 team in the latest CIF-Southern Section Division IV rankings, have won 11 consecutive games since a 1-0 loss to Los Altos, ranked fourth in Division III, on March 11 at the Arroyo Tournament.
The lone hit against her was by Katie Tripoli, who hit a hard grounder to shortstop on the first pitch with one out in the seventh.
The Jaguars’ Lauren Sanchez tried to field it back-handed, but couldn’t make a play.
“It’s OK,” said Escamilla, who has two no-hitters this season. “Our team did well and we got our hits. One hit is no big deal as long as our team did good.”
It just so happened to be a win over a team that’s nearby.
“They’re a right down the street rival school, so it’s fun to say that we won,” Escamilla said.
The senior was in command from the start in improving her record to 14-2.
It was only the second time this season Escamilla hasn’t struck out 10 or more in a game lasting seven innings or more. She struck out nine in a 8-4 win over Pasadena Poly on March 3.
“Michelle’s amazing, and we’re lucky to have her,” Alverno second baseman Amanda Mowrey said.
Mowrey and Michelle Baroldi had two hits apiece to lead Alverno (14-3).
Escamilla helped herself with a one-out walk in the fourth inning. Courtesy runner Jessica Capra went to second on a sacrifice by Barbara Parker and stole third. Tripoli’s throw went into left field to allow Capra to score the game’s first run.
Mowrey drove in a run with a single to left field in the fifth to give Escamilla a two-run cushion.
“It was a fun game because four of La Salle’s players are on my travel ball team,” Mowrey said. “La Salle is a great team, and these past two years were the first we beat them.
“We just needed to push for runs.”
While Alverno pushed to get runs across, La Salle (7-7) continued to show improvement, much to the delight of Lancers coach Michael Harper.
“We’re getting better and our defense has been improving,” Harper said.
La Salle junior Maddie Herlache (4-3) allowed a run on four hits and struck out two in four innings. Sophomore Allie Forillo, who is scheduled to start today against Lakewood St. Joseph, allowed two hits and two walks and struck out five in three innings of work.
Alverno, the No. 1-ranked team in the Star-News poll, will be back in action today against Bishop Conaty-Loretto.