SOFTBALL: Mayfield hands Poly first league setback

Late power surge lifts Cubs

By Nathan Cambridge, Correspondent
PASADENA – Mayfield used a late surge of power to hand Pasadena Poly its first loss of the Prep League softball season, defeating the Panthers (7-8, 5-1) 5-3 at Brookside Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Mayfield (9-5-1, 4-1) managedonly three singles off Poly starting pitcher Stephanie Tercero (6-4) in the first four innings and trailed 3-1 before hitting three extra-base hits in the fifth while scoring three runs.
Hannah Schraer led off the inning with a double down the left-field line. With two outs and Schraer at third, Anneliese Luck hammered the ball into center field to score the run and ended up with a triple. The Cubs got another run thanks to a Poly error to tie the game 3-3 before Mayfield starting pitcher Katherine Clancy (4-3) laced a double into right-center field to score Amy Vergel De Dios from second base.
Clancy pitched a perfect sixth inning and finished the game by striking out Poly’s Kate Hanel swinging with two runners on base for the final out.
Mayfield freshman catcher Kaitlin Fitzpatrick tripled and scored on Schraer’s single for an insurance run in the sixth inning.
“Give (Mayfield) credit. They certainly could have just folded up the tent (down 3-0), but they didn’t,” Poly coach Jeff Taylor said. “They started hitting the ball.”