BOYS BASKETBALL: Another chance to shine

Three-sport standout McGinley among all-stars

7393-McGinley-thumb-400x280.gif

Above: San Marino’s Chevy McGinley. (Staff Photo Keith Birmingham)

By Scott Galetti, Staff Writer
SAN MARINO – Game in and game out, he was the cornerstone of his team and the player opponents wanted to contain.
Win or lose, San Marino High School’s Chevy McGinley was the leader of the Titans boys basketball team.
McGinley led San Marino in scoring by averaging close to 15 points and in rebounding while grabbing almost nine boards per game.
Saturday night at 7:30, he’ll play in the Tribune/Star-News All-Star Classic at Azusa Pacific University.
“He was the Most Valuable Player on our team and was instrumental in our limited success,” San Marino basketball coach Chris Bass said. “He’s an athletic inside-outside player who can post up and shoot the three.”
It’s just one of many hats the talented senior has worn throughout his high school career as a three-sport athlete.
“It’s a lot of hard work and dedication,” McGinley said. “I get home and feel worn out, usually. It’s a tough act, but I enjoy it because it keeps me busy.”
McGinley was busy trying to help keep the Titans afloat on the basketball court as they struggled to an 8-19 record (1-9 in Rio Hondo League play).
“The season didn’t go as I wanted it to, but as long as we tried our hardest as a team on the court and we stuck together, I was all right if we lost,” McGinley said. “I’m glad I played my senior season.”
Basketball has been part of McGinley’s life since he was about 4 years old.
“I like how basketball has non-stop action, and you have to be on your toes at all times,” he said.
On the football field, McGinley, a wide receiver and safety, was second on the Titans in receiving with 15 receptions for 302 yards and two touchdowns. He also was third on the team with 60 tackles and the team leader with three interceptions.
Baseball’s another sport McGinley has enjoyed since he was young, and is a game that means a lot to him.
“Baseball’s been one of my favorite sports since I was little because it’s a mental game,” McGinley said. “It’s all in your mind.”
McGinley, a left fielder and pitcher, currently has his mind focused on his team’s pursuit of a league title.
“It feels good winning so many games and bringing back the success of the team is very exciting,” McGinley said. “Everybody is really excited to make the playoffs and hopefully go deep in the playoffs.”
“He’s a great all-around athlete and he’s a fierce competitor,” Titans baseball coach Mack Paciorek said. “He’s been primarily used in the outfield and has been a valuable relief pitcher.”
San Marino defeated Temple City on Wednesday and hosts Monrovia today with a share of first place on the line before McGinley takes a moment to cap his prep basketball career.
“This week, I’ve been pumped up for our opportunity to go after first place,” McGinley said. “We have to be ready for Monrovia, and then I have the all-star game, so it’s an action-packed week.”
McGinley joined his fellow all-stars at the Star-News team’s first practice a week ago and was impressed by the level of talent.
“It was pretty exciting to meet all of the Division I-caliber players,” McGinley said. “It was neat to watch them play and play with them.”
Another exciting aspect about McGinley’s opportunity is the fact that his mother, who lives in Oklahoma, will be at Azusa Pacific to see him play.
“She’s only gotten to see me play baseball this year, so she’ll finally get to see me play basketball,” he said.
McGinley plans on attending the University of Arizona, although he doesn’t intend on playing any sports.
“I’m pretty much worn out and looking forward to relaxing,” McGinley said.