BASEBALL: Gabrielino comes from behind to win championship

Gabrielino turns hit into title
Down 1-0, Eagles rally with one in the seventh and one in the eighth to defeat Arroyo 2-1 to grab Mission Valley League title.

Friday’s Games
Mission Valley League
Gabrielino 2, Arroyo 1 (8 innings)

Pacific League
Crescenta Valley 2, Arcadia 1 (8 innings)

Almont League
Alhambra 15, Bell Gardens 0
Montebello 12, San Gabriel 2

By Andrew Barlam, Correspondent
SAN GABRIEL – One-hit wonders, Gabrielino High School baseball players are not. But they certainly were on Friday.
Although the Eagles’ bats produced just one hit in 7 2/3 innings at home against Arroyo – an infield single at that – the Eagles still pulled out a 2-1 come-from-behind, eight-inning victory for their second consecutive Mission Valley League title.
“It means everything to us,” Gabrielino coach Joe Laski said. “We had only one hit and we still won. This team, the way they played today, the sky is really the limit for us.”
Arroyo (12-10, 11-4) was one inning away from earning the title, holding a 1-0 advantage from the top of the first inning through the bottom of the seventh.
But Gabrielino (18-7, 13-2) took advantage of three balks by Arroyo reliever Justin Soto in the final two innings to put together the comeback and knock the Knights to third in the league standings behind second-place South El Monte.
A balk brought in the tying run in the seventh, and another in the eighth advanced runners to second and third to set up Stefan Jarrin’s one-out sacrifice fly to right.
Pinch-runner Andrew Moreno scored to set off a celebration.
Pitcher Angel Cabral earned the victory with a scoreless eighth. He replaced Calvin Chambers, who gave up three hits and an unearned run in seven innings.
“I waited a long time for that run,” said Chambers, who had four strikeouts and three walks. “I just had to block out everything negative and make sure I threw strikes and kept us in the game.
“We stayed together and I thank the Lord for that.”
Arroyo’s starter wasn’t as fortunate.
Freshman right-hander Mark Roche allowed only one hit, with six strikeouts and five walks. But after a leadoff walk to start the seventh inning, the freshman was removed.
The game unraveled from there for the Knights.
Jacob Mier, the first batter Soto faced, attempted a sacrifice bunt but Soto scooped it up and threw wildly into center field. Back-to-back balks followed and Gabrielino ended up with the tying run in and a runner at third.
The Eagles had scored without a hit, just as they did again in the eighth.
“We had a chance to put it away, but a few turning points gave them the momentum,” Arroyo coach D.J. MacKinnion said. “Went from the penthouse to the outhouse.”