BASEBALL: Covey throws a gem, strikes out 18

Maranatha sophomore Dylan Covey struck out 18 to lead Maranatha to a 3-1 victory over Rosamond Thursday night.

By Scott Galetti, Staff Writer
PASADENA — Teams with a solid No. 1 starting pitcher have a distinct advantage when it comes to the postseason.
Maranatha High School’s baseball team is hoping to ride the right arm of sophomore Dylan Covey all the way to a CIF-Southern Section championship.
Covey (8-2) was on top of his game Thursday by pitching a one-hitter and striking out 18 and the Minutemen did just enough offensively in a 3-1 victory over visiting Rosamond in a first-round Division VI game at Brookside Park’s Jackie Robinson Field.
The Minutemen (15-10-1) advanced to Tuesday’s second round and will play the winner of today’s game between Riverside Notre Dame and Santa Clarita Christian.
Covey (8-2) hurled a complete-game one-hitter to earn the victory. He struck out 18 and also helped his cause by driving in a run. Rosamond’s lone hit was collected by Vance Franco, the game’s second batter, who singled to center.
“The first two innings I was trying to find my release and was a little bit shaky,” said Covey, who helped his cause by driving in a run. “But in the third inning I kind of found my release point and got in a rhythm of getting my mechanics down.”
After issuing a one-out walk in the second, Covey took charge by retiring 17 of the final 18 batters, including 14 in a row. The Roadrunners got the leadoff man aboard in the seventh on an error.
“It’s the same old Dylan. He always comes back in like the third inning and finishes strong,” sophomore first baseman Danny Beckwith said.
Even more impressive was the fact that Covey struck out the side in three of the last four innings, including the final two.
“It’s just a game, but as long as we win, it’s OK with me,” Covey said.
Beckwith doubled and knocked in a run to pace Maranatha’s six-hit attack.
“Our hitting wasn’t doing too great today, but we had some clutch hits that scored the runs we needed,” Beckwith said.
Covey wasn’t the only pitcher throwing well, however. Rosamond starter D.J. Sterling (3-5) struck out 12 to keep the Minutemen from pulling away.
“Our coach came into this game yesterday telling us that he was a very good pitcher and that we needed to prepare well for him,” Beckwith said. “He had a good breaking ball and a good fastball and I think we did an OK job against him.”
Rosamond (14-8) pushed a run across in the first on an infield error to take a 1-0 lead.
Maranatha came right back in the bottom of the inning. Erik Johnson scored when Jordan Calloway stole second. Calloway later crossed the plate on a single to left by Covey.
The Minutemen added an insurance run in the third on a double to left field by Beckwith.
Covey more than likely will get the ball on Tuesday, and he’s enjoying the opportunity.
“I think every team’s hope is to win, but we’re young and we move up a division next year so if we win CIF this year, it’s a good motivation for us to start next year,” Covey said.