Drum roll please …
1. Dietrich Riley, St. Francis, Jr. – For the record, no, I’m not Catholic.
Riley is being recruited at cornerback but will play safety/linebacker and running back/wide receiver at St. Francis. USC beat everyone else to the punch and gave Riley an offer, and of course UCLA followed suit. Oklahoma, Florida and Texas also have expressed interest.
Don’t be surprised if he lines up at quarterback and takes off from there. The word from the grapevine is he’ll need to get better on one-and-one coverage. But he’s a very physical player and has a high competitive level and that’s something you don’t teach.
USC evaluates talent well so they must know what they’re talking about when they’re giving Riley an offer on the spot.
2. Todd Golper, Arcadia, Sr. – Golper is a UCLA commit and will likely play linebacker for the Bruins. But look for Golper to play everywhere for the Apaches, maybe even running back. He’s a solid 6-foot, 223 pounder.
3. Mitchell Crockhom, Alhambra, Jr. – Some already are comparing this kid to Zion Babb who of course now is at Michigan (Really? Appalachian State???). He looks the part and is 6-3, 190 pounds. He ran a good route over at the scout.com combine. He’s physical and a potential Division I player.
4. Reuben Thomas, Muir, Sr. – He’s quick and he’ll scramble. He’s the type of player defensive coordinators will have nightmares about because you won’t know what he’ll do next. He’s not as patient in the pocket but when he runs that’s where his strengths shine most. If he breaks off the edge he’ll run the ball and make a big play.
5. It’s a toss-up! Too many players to mention here so I’ll let you guys decide who belongs here and on this list for that matter.
Is Dietrich Riley the best player in ALL THE SAN GABRIEL VALLEY?!?! I’d definitely argue that he is (Bring it on, Robledo!).