Kickoff 2009: Monrovia reloads, team to beat in RHL

RIO HONDO LEAGUE PREVIEW

By Miguel A. Melendez, Staff Writer

The way things started out last season – perhaps how they ended as well – may have surprised even the most optimistic fan at Monrovia High School.

The Wildcats last season, under new coach Ryan Maddox, got off to a shaky start by virtue of a rout to Arcadia. It was clear the Wing-T offense would need a few games before it jelled.
But when it did, the Wildcats were off and running.

Monrovia made a surprising run to the semifinals of the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division playoffs with an offense that got in a groove by Week 4 and a coach who made modest expectations.

They got there with a solid ground attack led by Marquise Williams, who carried most of the offensive load at running back and has since graduated.

No need to panic, Wildcat fans.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING RHL PREVIEW

While Monrovia doesn’t have a star name like it did in Williams, the Wildcats do have considerable depth in the backfield to continue wreaking havoc on opposing teams.

Call it an attack by committee.

The holes vacated by Williams and DJ Cole, another speedster back, resulted in a spirited competition during fall camp. Senior O.J. Bouligny (a transfer from Maranatha), senior Craig Brown, junior Derrick Johnson and sophomore De’Shawn Ramirez will rotate time in the backfield.

“It’s going to be a situation where we don’t have to depend on one person,” Maddox said, “and the defense can’t focus on one person.”

Perhaps more important, the Wildcats return one of the area’s best quarterbacks in Nick Bueno. The speedy junior will shoulder more responsibility on offense this season, a role he’s ready to relish.

“We’re not going to ask him to carry the team,” Maddox said, “but at the same time he’s ready for a larger role. As a sophomore we limited what he did last year. This year we’ll be utilizing him more.”

Bueno, who amassed 1,300 yards last season, became an integral part of the offense as the season progressed. What he lacks in size he more than makes up for with sheer determination.

“What makes Nick special is he’s a competitor,” Maddox said. “He has a strong work ethic and the kids are following him. He’s willing to be a good leader and those are qualities that are starting to come out.”

Protecting Bueno and the running back corps will be a star-studded line that includes all-league center Kizz Prussia and all-league tight end Grant Haggard. Josh Lowden, an all-CIF tackle, will anchor the defense at linebacker along with last year’s special teams player of the year Charlie Cimmarusti.

Justin De La Nuez, who packs plenty of power, is a solid addition to the Wildcats defense.

Temple City could give Monrovia a run for its money for the league title. The Rams return four offensive linemen from last season: Seniors Matt O’Malley, Jim Sutton and Derek Lumary and Collin Smith.

Andrew Truong, a senior, will replace the departed and talented Josh Ouellette. Truong did not play varsity last season but was voted linemen of the year on the JV level.

They’ll be asked to provide the same kind of protection senior running back Max Ruckle enjoyed last season, en route to 1,300 yards rushing despite not starting until Week 4.

“We want to give Ruckle the ball as much as we can,” first-year Temple City coach Anthony White said. “But at the same time it’s not the same old Temple City where we lineup and try to outmuscle people. We’re going to try to spread out and we’re going to throw and run to try to beat teams.”

The Rams also add some new faces. Brandon Pultz will provide much needed talent on the receivers end along with senior Andrew Torres.

Who will throw to them is still up in the air. Temple City has a three-player rotation that includes freshman Brandon Cox. Senior Justin Smith, however, is likely to take the majority of the snaps.

Defensively, the Rams made some solid additions. Tim Sanderson is one of the top newcomers. He’ll be an intimidating presence at middle linebacker. He measure 6-feet-3, 190 pounds and is a junior. Senior Victor Dominguez impressed coaches when he increased his bench by 50 pounds over the summer. He’ll see time at middle linebacker.

San Marino returns 10 starters from last year’s team that got off to an impressive start. They lost two offensive powers in quarterback Steven Wright and running back Scott Dooley.

However, the Titans have Joe Forgatch who played significant time at quarterback when Wright broke his collarbone in the middle of the season. And even though Dooley amassed 1,000 yards rushing last season, he shared significant time in the backfield with Benny Hung, who did most of the dirty work for short gain yardage and easy scores up the middle.

La Caada returns a lot of depth at the skill positions and secondary. Team speed will improve this season and Rocky Moore returns with another year of varsity experience at quarterback.

First-year Spartans coach Dan Yoder feels an established running game this season could give them a balanced attack and more options on the spread.

“Rocky is starting to really develop,” Yoder said. “He’s seeing the field much better than he did in the past and is making some very good reads.”

The addition of running back Daleep Sandhu will be a strong presence in the backfield. His speed and ability to cut to the sidelines will spread defenses and open up the passing game.

“It’s going to be difficult for opponents to single out our biggest offensive threat because we feel we can spread it around to a lot of different guys,” Yoder said.

Despite losing key contributors on offense and inexperience, Yoder feels the hard work in the offseason and renewed excitement could propel the Spartans this season.

“There is a lot of good competition in our league that deserves our respect,” he said, “but we are looking forward to the challenge of making a few believers.”

South Pasadena will have a tough time competing after losing its key weapon on offense in wide receiver Steven Colliau.

Still, Tigers coach Ed Smith has high hopes quarterback Conor Bednarski can make something of the offense.

“That’s what we’re hoping for,” he said. “Last year we told him to take care of the ball. He went through some learning curves. Hopefully this year he’ll learn to keep the ball and try to be safe.”

As a sophomore, Bednarski did not shoulder much responsibility offensively. This year could be different.

“Last year we weren’t too hard on him because we knew he was going through a learning situation,” Smith said. “But this year we expect him to make the right decisions.”

But one of South Pasadena’s weaknesses is its lack of depth at the receivers end.

“All our receivers are new from the JV team,” Smith said. “They didn’t play much on the varsity so we have to see what happens.”

The Tigers, however, return senior running back Howard Serrian.

“He’s not a breakaway type of guy but he can keep the chains moving for us,” Smith said.

South Pasadena also returns senior Alejandro Chavez who started at fullback last year.

The Tigers’ offensive line is another bright spot. Seniors Tim Byun and David Hamlen return.
What was supposed to be a year in which Blair boasted a stout offensive line has all but disappeared.

“We had a few casualties,” said Vikings coach Gary Parks midway through fall camp. “Due to our philosophies in our program they couldn’t meet the standards so they left the team.”

Blair returns five starters, including senior defensive tackle Cory Alexander (6-foot-2, 270 pounds). There is a two-man competition at quarterback with senior Clifford Jones and freshman Brandon Kerr.

Kerr is likely to get the nudge despite his lack in height (5-9) because he reads the defense better and has a better command of the offense. Jones, at 6-foot-1, will better serve the Vikings at wide receiver.

“We’re young,” Parks said. “And our depth is always an issue at Blair.”

miguel.melendez@sgvn.com