Cross Country: Arcadia boys best in school history? Yup

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer

A sweep of the Laguna Hills Invitational. A third-place finish in the sweepstakes division at the Woodbridge Invitational. The Stanford Invitational coming up, a No. 2 ranking in a CIF-Southern Section Division I cross country poll this week, and a No. 4 ranking in one national poll.

These are heady times for the Arcadia High School boys team.

But running among the elite in invitationals and polls do not get teams to the CIF State Meet in November.

Winning league titles does.

That’s where the Apaches start at 3:15 p.m. today in Arcadia County Park when the Pacific League holds its first cluster meet.

Fortunately, Arcadia coach Jim O’Brien said, this Apaches team may be the best in school history.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

“We have enough kids and a very deep team so that we can hold people out if they are sick or injured,” O’Brien said. “It’s going to be a hot day, so the important thing is keeping the kids ready and hydrated.”

Junior Ammar Moussa had the third-fastest time in the history of the Woodbridge Invitational last Saturday, finishing second in his race in 14 minutes, 11 seconds.

But one nationally ranked runner does not carry a team. O’Brien said he has 14 athletes he can count on. Only seven can race at one time.

“All things are good,” he said.

At Woodbridge, four Apaches were within 47 seconds of each other — juniors Allen Leung and Eric Garibay and sophomores Sergio Gonzalez and Nick Shar.

The Apaches girls have their own frontrunner in junior Katrina McAlister. But winning the league title will be tougher than it will be for the boys. Crescenta Valley again sends a contingent that will be tough to beat.

“The girls are young, but they could do it,” O’Brien said. “We’ll be in the hunt.”
Senior Cassandra Llamas and freshman Glyndie Mancia have come on strong.
The Rio Hondo League opener will be Thursday at Crescenta Valley Park.

Dancing the night away

While waiting for scores to be tabulated after the conclusion of cross country meets, nervous energy is typically burned off by re-adding scores, analyzing and playing with Frisbees. Not by dancing.

But that’s what happened at the second night edition of the 24th annual Rosemead Invitational. While the officials results were being added, the athletes danced.

“Our runners had a blast,” Rosemead coach Fidel Dominguez said. “The runners, coaches and fans had a lot of fun, and that’s what our Rosemead runners, coaches, parents and staff worked a lot to accomplish.”

Mayfield senior Michelle Gonzales had the fastest girls time in 17:22, edging Rosemead’s Brittnie Munoz by six seconds. It was Munoz’s first defeat in the invitational.

South El Monte senior Jayson Perez had the fastest boys time in 14:10.

Another league begins

Arcadia’s girls volleyball team began Pacific League play Tuesday against Burbank and will host Hoover on Thursday.
The 2008 league champions are fresh off a second-place finish in their own tournament. Whittier Christian defeated the Apaches 17-25, 25-21, 15-13, in the final.

“As a coach, you can never be satisfied, but I think we did pretty good,” Arcadia coach Charles Freberg said. “Overall, we played well.”
Madyson Cassidy and Taylor DeGraff were selected to the all-tournament team.
Monrovia defeated El Rancho 25-16 in the third-place match.

keith.lair@sgvn.com

• I like the way your homepage is set up. It has a cool theme to it. I enjoy the graphics of your homepage. I wish I can create a website that looks as good as yours .

• I understand that there are a lot of spam lately. Apparently its pretty hard for people to understand that relationships can be mutually beneficial. I can leave a meaningful awesome comment and add content and essence to one of your articles and you will give me a link in exchange. There are too many takers out there and they arent willing to help people out. Take take take! .

• Thank you for a great post

• Thanks for your visiting this http://www.hello-free.com/freebies online Free WebSite.

• I would like to start my own blog one day. This was a really nice blog that you made here. Keep up the success 😛

• I would think it’s a raw food. Try toasting it.

• any vegetable

• hard boiled eggs, lunchmeat, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter and jelly, granola cereal and bars, dried fruit, fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, tuna, chick peas(you can mash them to make hummus), pita bread

• I totally agree w/ Ken S. I had to take a break from breeding for a while and have been researching the sites on cat food as well as dog food. It’s shocking and gross what is passed off as healthy & nutrishous. i plan on expanding into breeding dogs also, but before I add another to my household I will be creating my own recipes for dog & cat food. One more thing, useing an enzyme based cleaner like ‘Natures Miracle’ and ‘Oxy’ to eliminate pet stains will also remove the smell.

• Interesting layout on your blog. I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.

• I love the way you write and also the theme on your blog. Did you code this yourself or was it done by a professional? I’m very very impressed.

• Love the blog here. Nice colors. I am definitely staying tuned to this one. Hope to see more.

• This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to share your this with everyone.

• Interesting thoughts here. I appreciate you taking the time to share them with us all. It’s people like you that make my day 🙂

• I really like the colors here on your blog. did you design this yourself or did you outsource it to a professional?

• This is good info! Where else can if ind out more?? Who runs this joint too? Keep up the good work 🙂

• Amazing freakin blog here. I almost cried while reading it!

• Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy.

• I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.. 🙂

• Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

• I commonly dont respond on sites except you boast a few fine comprehensible article.

• I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know wheere u got this from. thanks