Boys Soccer: St. Francis sets sights on league, CIF

By Miguel A. Melendez, Staff Writer

There were big surprises last year in boys soccer, perhaps none more than St. Francis High School’s run to a CIF Southern California championship.

That understandably was nice, but the Golden Knights are hoping the Mission League and a CIF-Southern Section Division 1 championship don’t become elusive this year.

Rosemead made a run to the semifinals of the Division 6 playoffs while Monrovia and Pasadena became powers within their respective leagues.
This season should be no different.

No. 1 St. Francis

Eric Verso, last year’s Star-News player of the year, no longer is with the Golden Knights. He was an integral part of St. Francis coach Glen Appels’ lineup who now is playing in the Galaxy’s U.S. Soccer Developmental Academy.

“I think it’s a shame the kids can’t be allowed to play,” Appels said. “I understand that they’re trying to build these guys to be future professional players.

“The sad thing is they’re put in a position where they have to make that choice. But if the schedule was arranged they could make both fit.”

St. Francis’ strength once again will be its stout defensive back line which led the Golden Knights to an 18-6-4 record and a win over Cathedral Catholic of San Diego in the Southern California championship.

“It has to be the defense,” Appels said. “If you look at last year’s team our defense was strong, but in the games we didn’t defend well we lost. We’re strong in the back and when regionals came around we finally found our stride. But if we’re going to win tournaments and the Mission League we have to defend well every day.”

Senior defender Andrew Blunk is back after missing much of last season with a broken nose. Dante Ramunno and Max Cadena are senior captains and senior Joel Ingram’s return solidifies the midfield.

Mark Verso, a freshman, is the younger brother of Eric Verso. He plays a different style than Eric, who was more flashy and fast up the middle. Mark is stronger and plays a more physical game.

Appels has no problem with the pressure of starting the season as Southern California champion.

“The pressure’s not a problem,” he said. “We want to put pressure on ourselves to do well. That’s how you respond to things by setting goals. We were disappointed early on; we didn’t do so well with a chance to win league and to go from first to fourth in one week. We were 10 minutes away from being in the finals, but we let that slip away. So we’re going to try to pick up the things we missed along the way.”

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

No. 2 Monrovia

The Wildcats return seven starters, many of them from the attacking line.
Senior Omar Ramirez and Macias Ibaez, the Rio Hondo League offensive player of the year, will lead up front. Mario Gomez and Roberto Ruvacalba will be playmakers along with Anthony Guerra in midfield.

Monrovia (21-3-3 last year) lost in the quarterfinals of the Division 5 playoffs. The Wildcats will host their tournament Dec. 21-23 at various sites.

No. 3 La Caada

Barry Riston takes over for the Spartans, who last year lost to Baldwin Park in the quarterfinals of Division 5.

The Spartans return six starters and are led by junior midfielder Matthew Caatta and goalkeeper Jack Hale.

“The boys believe in themselves,” Riston said. “I think there is more talent this year overall. Whether the results will be better or the same, I don’t know.”

No. 4 Pasadena

The Bulldogs return four starters from last year’s team that won the Pacific League.
Seven players, however, were ineligible because of grades at the start of the playoffs and Pasadena (12-2-7) lost in the first round. Bulldogs coach Cherif Zein said those players no longer are on the team.

Senior Omar Reyes will be in the center of the offense and, according to Zein, is “the engine of the program.”

Francisco Guzman will anchor the back line.

Pasadena will be tested Thursday when it hosts Trinity League champion JSerra, coached by Zein’s former player while at USC, Davore Sudlich.

No. 5 San Marino

he Titans are off to a good start and will count on their speed and defensive-minded approach to carry them through the Rio Hondo League toward a spot in the playoffs.

San Marino coach Oswaldo “Ozzy” Monroy has seven returning starters led by Stevie Yortsos and John Choi, two of the fastest players on the team, and senior forward Coco Raether.

“Our strength is good defense,” Monroy said. “Breakaway speed is also going to be really fast.”

No. 6 Rosemead

Panthers coach Rick Ingram will have a tough task in getting them back to the Division 6 semifinals, but he’s excited about the young group.

Rosemead (24-5-2) returns starters John Martinez and Hillario Contreras.

“But I have some on the team that didn’t start last year,” Ingram said.

No. 7 Alhambra

Eight returning starters give the Moors a good chance at finishing in the top two of the Almont League.

Jorge Gonzalez is the playmaker and assist leader and Hector Diaz is the sweeper anchoring the back line.

“We have a solid defense,” Alhambra coach Netza Bravo said. “I have no concerns on defense.”

Senior Luis Renteria-Medina is a three-year letterman who will start at goalkeeper.

No. 8 Pasadena Poly

The Panthers finished second in the Prep League behind Chadwick and advanced to the Division 6 playoffs.

No. 9 Maranatha

The Minutemen finished third in the Alpha League and went to the first round of the Division 6 playoffs.

No. 10 Marshall

Eagles coach Claine Plummer has a strong group that could compete for an Alpha League championship.

miguel.melendez@sgvn.com