Girls Soccer: Young Tologs are on a (title) Mission

Above: Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy’s starting sophmores, from left, Jill Jacobs, Katie Johnson,Tera Trujillo, Breeana Koemans, Alexa Montogomery, Katelyn Almeida, and Lauren Torres. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Sarah Reingewirtz/SPORTS)

A sophomore-dominated Flintridge Sacred Heart squad defeated previously undefeated Harvard-Westlake 2-0 last week to make a jump to No. 14 in this week’s FAB 50. FSH’s lone setback is to current San Diego No. 1 The Bishop’s School.

Flintridge Sacred Heart’s result was not too much of a surprise given it tied Harvard-Westlake earlier in the season. This time around, Katie Johnson and Krista Meaglia staked FSH to a 2-0 lead and keeper Dominique Oro turned away a few quality chances to maintain the clean sheet.
Despite the major victory, Flintridge Sacred Heart will not have much time to bask in the glory of a higher ranking. It faces another perennial league challenger and former FAB 50-ranked team in Chaminade early this week.

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer

LA CAADA-FLINTRIDGE — Sophomores are expected to watch, listen and learn.

Eight Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy sophomores are doing just that this soccer season. But they’re doing something a lot more. They are also leading.

Seven sophomores start for the Tologs – defender Katelyn Almeida, forward Katie Johnson, midfielder Jill Jacobs, midfielder Breeana Koemans, defender Alexa Montgomery, midfielder Lauren Torres and midfielder Tera Trujillo.

That’s nearly two-thirds of the starting lineup. The eighth, goalkeeper Lindsey Espe, would probably start at most schools in the West San Gabriel Valley, but she plays – and she has played this season – behind senior Dominique Oro, last season’s Mission League goalie of the year.

The seven starters have helped the Tologs to one of their best starts in school history. They are 15-1-2 and remained unbeaten in the tough Mission League after Monday’s 1-0 victory over Chaminade. For the first time, they are ranked in the ESPN/Rise Top 50 poll. They were ranked 44th before beating league rival and No. 14 Harvard/Westlake 2-0 last week. The newest poll will be released today.

“One reason why we have seven sophomores starting is that we have a very small senior class and a very small junior class,” co-head coach Frank Pace said. “Obviously you play the kids you have, but these are talented and well-prepared kids. It is one of those fortunate cycles of high school sports and they’re all good.”

But it’s not about records or polls, the girls said.

“It’s the ring,” they all said in near-unison, referring to going after a CIF-Southern Section Division 2 title.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

That will not be easy; it never is. Last season, the Tologs were the top-ranked team heading into the divisional tournament. They were knocked out in the second round by eventual champion Saugus. This season, Sacred Heart is No. 2 in the CIF-SS. Harvard/Westlake is No. 1 and league foe Chaminade is No. 9.

But there is a big difference between last season’s and this season’s teams.

“The seniors were so intense, it was scary,” Torres recalled. “I would step on the field and be nervous.”

Now, it’s the other way, Trujillo said.

“They passed it on to us,” she said. “Now we’re intense.”

With so many youngsters and losing five senior starters, Pace and co-head coach Kathy Desmond were unsure where this team would go.

“These kids have been able to assimilate the mentality of the upperclassmen and turn into warriors,” Pace said. “It was survival.

“They really had no choice given the schedule we put together for this year. We were a little concerned that we were too ambitious in our scheduling, but these kids have stepped up and met the challenge.”

But the sophomores still know who is in charge: The captains, seniors Oro and Danielle Molina and junior Natalie Zeenni.

“The captains have become great leaders,” Torres said.

“The heart of our team is our three captains,” Pace said. “They are the leaders. But these kids have done everything asked of them. They have picked up their game to play at a level almost at a college-type level. They’re playing against kids in our league and our schedule that are going to be playing college next year. There is a big difference to excel against 14-year-olds than against 17- and 18-year-olds.

“It will be harder for these kids next year because they will be the upperclassmen. This year they have been able to draft off the three captains. The captains are the heartbeat and these kids are the pulse. Next year they’ll have to become the heartbeat.”

The Tologs have only three seniors on the team, including Haley Mojica. There are only three juniors, so 13 of the 19 players are underclassmen.

Yet, it is the sophomores who seemingly come up time and again with the big plays. In the victory over Harvard/Westlake at Glendale College, Johnson scored the first goal and Koemans and Jacobs had assists.

Freshman Krista Meaglia had the other goal. The lone loss was to The Bishops of San Diego, also ranked in the ESPN poll.

“That game gave us a lot of momentum and told us we have come to the level of play in the Mission League,” Koemans said of last week’s victory.

“But we need to stay at that level,” Almeida said.

It has definitely put the Tologs in the league driver’s seat. The teams played to a 1-1 tie in the first meeting.

“I didn’t think this would be a year we would vie for a league championship,” Pace said. “I thought Harvard/Westlake had about a good as a team as I’ve ever seen them have. I feel the same way about Chaminade and Notre Dame. We’re a little bit ahead of schedule on where I thought we would be.”

Four of the seven started as freshmen. Koemans and Johnson could potentially top 100 points in their high school careers. Koemans has 59 points, seventh-best in school history, and Johnson has 57 points, 10th best all time. This season, Johnson has a team-high 13 goals with three assists. She had 11 goals last season. Koemans leads in points with 11 goals and 10 assists; she had nine goals last season.

Jacobs has seven goals and four assists. She had four goals last season.

Except for Koemans, these girls have known each other since before grade school. They played together and against each other in San Gabriel Valley AYSO and club programs. Their sisters played together.

With a choice of high schools, they picked the same Catholic school.

“All of us are friends,” Jacobs said. “Everyone gets along together, which makes it great to play.”

Montgomery and Almeida both said the players enjoy “great chemistry.”

The rankings are nice, but it’s the league title that’s important, Pace said. That would be a second consecutive crown.

“Even though we are ranked (by ESPN), we’re still (ranked) No. 2 in league,” he said. “The only thing that matters is that you have to be No. 1 in league. That remains our No. 1 goal. We’re still a long way from doing that.”

keith.lair@sgvn.com