Getting a jump on signing day: Jerone Cox couldn’t play football at Baldwin Park, but he found a home there, and now has a full scholarship to Eastern Michigan

“I’m glad it worked out for Jerone, they (CIF) may have been able to take away his senior season, but they couldn’t take away his dream.” — Baldwin Park coach James Heggins

BALDWIN PARK – Jerone Cox, wearing a football jersey for a school where he never played and surrounded by cheerleaders and students who never got to watch him on a Friday night, felt right at home at Baldwin Park High School on Tuesday, when he signed a national letter of intent to play football at Eastern Michigan University on a full scholarship. Cox can’t officially send his letter to Eastern Michigan until today, which is national letter of intent signing day throughout the country, but who could blame him for being anxious? (To continue, click thread)

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

“It’s been such a long process, a lot of ups and downs but always support,” Cox said. “I wanted this to be a big day for the school because they supported me, and it was convenient for my family, coaches and everyone. I have so many people to thank.”

Cox was one of several players who left the Duarte High School football team after the abrupt firing of coach Wardell Crutchfield following the 2008 season. Duarte officials not wanting to elaborate, stated they wanted to move in a different direction.

So did Cox, who had grown especially close to Crutchfield and his son Wardell Crutchfield Jr. He enrolled at Baldwin Park along with Crutchfield Jr., because the elder Crutchfield was helping out as a walk-on assistant for Braves coach James Heggins.

The younger Crutchfield was allowed to participate with the Braves this past season because CIF-SS officials make a special exception for kids who follow their parents to another school.

But that wasn’t the case for Cox, who enrolled at Baldwin Park last spring and had been participating in all the spring and summer workouts.

But when it came time to submit a transfer request to CIF, Cox was denied. It was ruled an “athletically motivated” transfer, similar to what happened to high-profile running back Jordan Canada, who left Duarte for South Hills but also was ruled ineligible for “athletically motivated” reasons.

Canada, like Cox, practiced with South Hills throughout the fall and continues to make recruiting visits hoping he can make an announcement soon.

In both cases, Duarte High officials challenged the transfers, which CIF upheld.

“It was tough not playing, but everything happens for a reason,” Cox said. “I just thank God for coach Heggins and coach Crutchfield, they were there for me regardless of football. They believed in me as a person, that’s why I know the decision (to go to Baldwin Park) was right.

“They just kept telling me, `Keep working on your grades, keep practicing, keep working hard,’ and they stayed on the phones, calling and calling to help me get this scholarship.

“I’m also pulling for Jordan because I know how hard he works, too.”

Cox, a 5-foot-10, 175-pound cornerback, did a little of everything for Duarte his junior year. He rushed for 526 yards and caught 10 passes for 126 yards, but it was his film that impressed college recruiters the most.

He’s also a good student.

“He (Cox) came here with a great resume as far as film,” Heggins said. “That made it an easy sell, but when you explain to recruiters how hard this kid worked and how hard he continued to work with our football team knowing all along he couldn’t play, that speaks volumes about your character. That tells you he’s willing to pay the price.”

Heggins didn’t think it was unusual to stage a signing ceremony for player that never played for him.

“At the end of the day it’s about helping these kids get into college, and doing whatever you have to do to get that accomplished,” Heggins said. “Whether a kid transfers or not, you should never put your personal interests before the kids, this is their future you’re dealing with.

“I’m glad it worked out for Jerone, they (CIF) may have been able to take away his senior season, but they couldn’t take away his dream.

“He’s proof-positive that when you stay the course, work hard and stay humble, good things will happen.”

fred.robledo@sgvn.com