Softball: Monrovia should be 3-0 in RHL … no, really …

Think about it … Monrovia (7-2, 2-1) gave up seven runs in the first inning against South Pasadena in the Rio Hondo League opener last week. The Wildcats also committed six errors in that inning. “We just looked flat,” Monrovia coach Randy Medina said. “They were mad.” And why wouldn’t they be mad considering how the game ended. Monrovia settled down and gave up only one run the rest of the game, and the Wildcats scored two runs. Take away those seven runs in the first and Monrovia wins, 2-1 instead of losing, 8-2. “That was a game we look back and say ‘That’s an inning we’re not going to duplicate again,’” Medina said. “That’s not us. It’s so uncharacteristic of what we’ve done.” Monrovia shook up the Rio Hondo League when it stunned top-ranked La Canada, 2-0, on Tuesday. The Wildcats went with pitcher Cori Williams for the third time in five days. She helped Monrovia to back-to-back wins over South Pasadena on Monday and Tuesday against La Canada (7-1, 1-1), the top-ranked team in the CIF-Southern Section Division 5 poll. Monrovia’s stunner started in the fourth inning when Nikki Guzman drew a walk. Kelli Eggleston pinch ran and was waved home after Brooke Cowell’s double to right. The throw home was bobbled, giving more than enough time for Eggleston to touch the plate and break a scoreless tie. Cowell took off to third on the play, but the throw bounced into left field, allowing Cowell to score and make it 2-0. Schae Simpson, who relieved Williams in the sixth, got into a jam when she walked La Canada’s Anna Edwards to load the bases. But the threat ended when Simpson got the next batter to ground out to the shortstop and seal the upset. “Working to have a consistent game,” Monrovia coach Randy Medina said. “It was what the girls have been wanting. “We’re excited about the opportunities that this win will open up for us.”

• It’s All So Interesting

Seems to me that errors are certainly a matter of opinion. I believe there were 4 walks in the first inning, so someone is obviously counting those as errors. Monrovia is a good team, but there were solid hits that first inning.

• What?

shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn’t.

• But…

they aren’t.

• Panther Pride

No they shouldn’t be 3-0. They still committed six errors and lost 8-2. They flat out lost period. So they’re 2-1

• Tops

Kansas should be in the Sweet 16 but they aren’t! They lost, just like Monrovia lost! Why is this even a topic for discussion??

• chkyrslf

That is one way to hype up your opponent. I saw that one and South Pasadena beat them in every facet of the game and according to max preps left nine runners on base besides the 8 they scored. If there was a fence in the game it would have been 13-2. After Gogreve hit one about 260 in the first inning, they played her that deep the rest of the game. Not particularly wise, but a fun way to hype up the game.

• Dime

Holy Cow, I did not know that megan fox pitched for Monrovia.

• miguel has a mtown bias

Wow.. is this even a topic of discussion?

they lost.. they’re 2 and 1 for a reason

• chkyrslf

OK I see that Mayfield beat Maranantha 6-5 in dramatic Clancy fashion. Any scores on the Mission/Marshall and San Marino /Canyon games?

• sm

San Marino 7, Canyon1

Floyd had 17 srikeouts

• sm

San Marino 7, Canyon 1

Floyd had 17 strikeouts

• http://softballmom softballmom

San Marino 7
    Canyon 1

• Prep fan

Rio Hondo @ Flintridge Prep 0 – 4. Things came together for Prep, with no errors and 7 hits. Rio Hondo hit a double on the first pitch, but Denise Van Der Goot allowed no further hits, striking out 13.

• geez…..

when is this obsession with monrovia gonna stop miguel? i can’t remember too many sports reporter writing articles about how teams should have been this or that… this is a ridiculous post

• geez…..

second of all… who cares if they should be 3-0? bad reporting. this post just really befuddles me…

• chky

Miguel,

Looking at this closely I have to say that you are kidding, right? Please come back and say you are kidding. That is really a hard core dis pointed directly at the kids of South Pasadena and their fans are right to be all over you. For God’s Sake, they won 8-2, and I have to admit that I have never seen a reporter say anything close to that. That is something a coach might say to his team when nobody is listening. Also, if you didn’t notice, Monrovia lost a game early in the season 17-2 to Summit (not a powerhouse). They gave up 21 hits and 17 runs with only three errors. They did score 2 however, so I guess had they not given up those first 16 runs they would have would have won 2-1. It would be one thing if SP perennially lost to Monrovia, but take a look at the last couple of years South Pas has outscored Monrovia 57-13 and won 6 of the last 8. Monrovia deserves all of the credit for winning what appears to be a close 3-1 game immediately following the first game, but you cannot openly say they should have won a game they lost 8-2 where they were outplayed in every aspect of the game. They also had a nice win against La Canada, you and Coach Medina lessened it with this article.

I would say that you owe one to the South Pas kids.

I

• geez…..

“Take away those seven runs in the first and Monrovia wins, 2-1 instead of losing, 8-2.”

ya, take away those 30 points that the heat were up by last night over the bulls at halftime, and the bulls win the game 74-73, instead of losing 103-74… what is this supposed to be? the Monrovia high school newspaper? this is really just obscene. why are you trying to make an argument for monrovia? the fact is, you could say take away one quarter, half inning, etc. for many sports events, and the outcome would have been completely different. i just really don’t see what you were going for here with this article…

• gimme that keyboard

Point made; let’s move on.

• http://www.seomarketingservicesonline.com Link Building

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.. :)

• http://www.capacityproductions.net Youtube Promotion

Love all the opinions expressed here! How is everyone? Love how everyone expresses whatr they feel :)

• http://www.grantssinglemothers.org/ Grants Single Mothers

Love the blog here. Nice colors. I am definitely staying tuned to this one. Hope to see more.

• http://17inchlaptopbackpackshop.info 17 inch laptop backpack

I am happy to locate so many constructive information at this time into the article, we need develop additional strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing

• http://17inchlaptopbackpack.info swiss gear laptop backpack

What a comfort to determine a post that may well be present ultimately in truth importance reading! Ive been looking for all-around in relation to this focus but men and women now put waste posts, or short empty article. I have looked at a couple vids on youtube but its now the identical as reading a good post.

• http://noselaserhairremoval.info laser treatment for hair removal

What a comfort to notice a post that could be at last actually value reading! Ive been seeking all-around about this topic except men and women just put trash posts, or short worthless article. I have noticed a couple vids on youtube but its now the equivalent as reading a good post.