GSoccer Preview: Much expected from FSH Academy

PRESEASON TOP 10 RANKINGS
1. Flintridge Sacred Heart
2. La Salle
3. Arcadia
4. San Marino
5. Ramona Convent
6. Pasadena Poly
7. Alverno
8. Flintridge Prep
9. La Caada
10. Mayfield

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer

There are dreams of league and CIF-Southern Section girls soccer championships dancing through the heads of west San Gabriel Valley players this time of year.

But then, it’s Christmas.

It’s more than a month until teams begin league play, and playoffs won’t happen until February. Two months from now, long after the Christmas season has faded, teams will have a slightly better idea of where they stand in relation to championships.

There are, however, a lot of players still on colleges’ Christmas wish lists. Nearly a dozen Flintridge Sacred Heart players have signed national letters of intent or are waffling on final decisions. Players from other schools, including La Salle, have also signed letters of intent.

And there are a lot of area underclassmen who may be just as good as, or better than, those who haven’t signed with Division I programs. Here are the Star-News preseason rankings of the area’s top 10 teams:

No. 1 Flintridge Sacred Heart (22-1-4 last season)

The Tologs are ranked No. 15 in the nation by one publication. They won a CIF State regional title last season, and there should be plenty of pressure this time around.

“There is not any pressure,” co- coach Frank Pace said. “Why should there be? We finished second in (the Mission) League last year. We did not win a (CIF-Southern Section) title, although we came close. We have unfinished business.”

What the Tologs have is loads of young talent. Seven players have already committed to NCAA DivisionI schools, and two others are undecided. The Tologs have only two seniors returning, Natalie Zeenni and Alyssa Conti.

“We have good players with good heads,” said Pace, who’s entering his 13th year with the program. “Our goal is to play the best we can and live with that. The only pressure is that in which we put on ourselves.”

Co-coach Kathy Desmond is entering her 17th season.

Breeanna Koemens, the 2009-10 Star-News Player of the Year, returns. So does leading scorer Katie Johnson.

Junior Lindsey Espe, who’ll go to Belmont University, will be in goal, and freshman Sami Dier has looked sharp as her backup.

“We’re young, but we have experience,” Pace said.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING PRESEASON TOP 10 RANKINGS

No. 2 La Salle (13-5-7)

The Lancers have yet to hold a full-roster practice this season, but coach Edgar Manvelyan is confident that when the team finally is assembled, it will be one to challenge in the tough Del Rey League.

“We could be one of the best in the area,” Manvelyan said. “We have some key seniors, but a lot of very good underclassmen.”

Samantha Whitehead and Lori Cuerington return for their senior seasons. Whitehead will play at St. John’s next season, and Cuerington is headed to Cleveland State.

The Lancers’ linchpins may be sophomore goalkeeper Cassidy Rey and midfielders Taylor Mediano and Whitney Tashiro.

The Lancers will play two sophomores at forward, returning starter Ally Puga and newcomer Kyle Chavarroia. Sophomore defender Erica Stanislawski and freshman Kelly Synold are expected to make major impacts, too.

No. 3 Arcadia (13-7-2)

The Apaches will again have to overcome Crescenta Valley to win the Pacific League title.

Pasadena, Muir and Glendale are much improved teams, too.

The Apaches opened the season with a 2-2 tie against always-tough Hart.

Sydney Dreves, Rachel Schroeder, Mollie McGuire and Miranda Stiver had big starts. Adriana Maldonado stood out in goal.

No. 4 San Marino (13-5-2)

The Titans will take aim at a second consecutive Rio Hondo League title.

Midfielder Annie Wenzlau returns, as does goalkeeper Carlee Beckler. Hope Welder, Quinta Addis, Alex Schuster and Lindsay Miller all had a part in the Titans’ season-opening victory over Westridge this week.

No. 5 Ramona Convent (10-7-6)

Ten players return, making the Tigers one of the favorites in the Sunshine League.

“We hope to finish in the top three, and we could contend for the league title, but we have to battle consistency,” coach Alma Garcia said. “That’s the big part: We have to be consistent. We have to score more goals.”

Nancy Nunez, Celina Valencia and Arielle Peraza lead five seniors. Peraza is the returning starting goalkeeper.

No. 6 Pasadena Poly (12-5-3)

The Panthers return eight seniors. Among those expected to make an impact are Zibby Boyer, a CIF State finalist last season in the high jump, Katie Gancedo, Maggie Casey and Alex Hanel.

No. 7 Alverno (16-6-1)

Maha Abdullah played midfield in her first three years for the Jaguars, but she may finally move back to her more natural position of defensive back.

“We have to stop giving up goals,” Alverno assistant coach Steve Lesse said. “That means we might have to move her back, but it does not necessarily mean we will. We’re talking about it.

“We’ve come close to winning titles, but we can’t if we give up those goals.”

Abdullah led the Jaguars in goals last season, junior Celina Minissian returns up front, and goalkeeper Sammi Lorey, who missed all of last season with an injury, is back in goal.

The Jaguars have seven freshmen, including goalie Jessica Hamilton and midfielder Kelly Youssef, who could replace Abdullah in the middle if coach Ken Berry and Lesse move Abdullah back.

No. 8 Flintridge Prep (13-4-1)

Coach Esteban Chavez said the Rebels are still adjusting to playing in Division 3.

“We have to get out of that first round,” he said.

This is a team that he thinks might be able to do it.

Brooke Elby and Alina Okamoto are back for their senior seasons. Okamoto, a midfielder, led the Rebels in scoring last season. Elby is also one of the Rebels’ top scorers.

The difference, Chavez said, could be in goal: Sophomore Casey Cousineau now has a year of varsity experience.

“She is one of the best in the area,” Chavez said.

No. 9 La Caada (10-6-2)

Coach Louie Bilowitz has been around the Spartans program for two decades, but this season has been a first. He said he typically has to relegate 20 players to the school’s lower divisions, but this season he had to cut two players from the varsity roster.

“I’ve never had this before,” he said, “but I knew this was coming.”

Fortunately, the Spartans have junior Haley Austin back in goal. Forwards Megan Siepler and Lisa Lim return for their senior seasons, and junior Taliah Saleh is back in midfield.

The Spartans may start as many as five freshmen.

“We have really good girls who are willing to learn,” he said. “They’re eager to learn how to play and gain experience. I tell them to do something and they just do it.”

Bilowitz said he has the Spartans working on short, diagonal passes with no player touching the ball for too long.

“We do not want one-on-one situations,” he said.

Freshman Olivia Leyva has made a strong start.

No. 10 Mayfield (9-7-1)

Elena Buckley scored twice to lead Mayfield past Flintridge Prep in a tournament game already this season.

That’s a good sign for the Cubs, who have an uphill battle to make the Prep League’s top three. Alana Victor has been in goal.

keith.lair@sgvn.com