Football: No leads in homicide of Muir football player. UPDATE: Pasadena chief Sanchez to discuss Altadena homicide at Robinson Park community forum.

UPDATE: The police department will host a community meeting Thursday, Feb. 17, at 6 p.m. about the department’s response to recent incidents of violence in Pasadena and Altadena, including the slaying of 18-year-old Brandon Jackson. Officials announced the event Wednesday via a press release posted on Facebook.

The event will be in the gymnasium at Robinson Park, 1081 N. Fair Oaks Ave. Pasadena police Chief Phillip Sanchez and other department staff will discuss the incidents and answer questions from the community, the press release issued by City spokeswoman Ann Erdman said.

The meeting is free and open to the public. Spanish interpretation services will be provided.

For more information contact Lt. Jari Faulkner at 626-744-6485.

=====

By Brian Charles, Staff Writer

ALTADENA – Los Angeles County Sheriff’s homicide investigators had no leads Tuesday in the investigation into the slaying of Brandon Jackson, an 18-year-old John Muir High School student, officials said.

Jackson was shot and killed on Saturday in the 300 block of West Palm Street as he was walking home from a friend’s party. A source close to the investigation said the shooting likely was gang related.

With no leads coming in during the first three days of the investigation, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Luis Castro said the case will proceed slowly for the rest of the week.

“If it happened on the 12th and there are no updates yet there probably won’t be one for the rest of the week,” Castro said. Multiple shots – all to the abdomen – killed Jackson, according to the autopsy conducted by the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office.

The report doesn’t indicate the exact number of gunshots, or whether the bullets that struck Jackson killed him instantly, said Lt. Fred Corral of County Coroner’s Office.

Friend and relatives of Jackson set up a sidewalk memorial for the victim on West Palm Street on Monday and the Muir football booster club held an emergency meeting Monday night to talk about how to help the Jackson family with funeral costs.

A memorial for Jackson has yet to have been planned, Muir football coach Ken Howard said Tuesday.

Those close to Jackson said the student-athlete had turned himself from a troubled student to one with relative success in the classroom and on the football field. Jackson brought his grade point average up to 2.7, Howard said.

The 5-foot, 11-inch, 175-pound football player scored a touchdown in November’s Turkey Tussle game between Muir and Pasadena High School. Muir won, 63-6.