Baseball: Arcadia flies in 2-0 win over Pasadena

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer

PASADENA – Usually, the Arcadia High School baseball team relies on the big bat, but that’s not the case this season.

The Apaches have to find imaginative ways to manufacture runs, and on Tuesday, a sacrifice bunt became a sacrifice fly, and the Apaches scored their only other run on another sacrifice fly en route to a 2-0 victory over host Pasadena.

“There’s pressure to win games because we don’t score any runs,” Arcadia coach Nick Lemas said. “It would be nice to get a base hit to score some runs.”

It was the Apaches’ 25th consecutive Pacific League victory. The Bulldogs, though, didn’t make Arcadia’s eighth league win this season easy by any means.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

With Arcadia’s K.J. Edson and Pasadena’s Robert Lain nearly untouchable on the mound, designated hitter Darren Kerfoot delivered a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning.

Arcadia’s Erik Trask led off the sixth with a chopper over the head of third baseman Ives Brown, the Apaches’ first hit of the game that came with no outs. George Papavasiliou then singled up the middle.

With the Apaches getting nowhere before then – they stranded Drew Klein on third base in the first inning – Kerfoot squared away to bunt on an 0-1 count.

“We just needed to get a runner to third base,” Lemas said. “I felt if we could get a runner to third base, there are so many different ways we can get him home. There are so many options.”

On the second pitch, though, the ball got away from catcher Edwardo Quiroz, and both runners moved up, dramatically changing the Apaches’ options.

“We just kind of clutch up,” Kerfoot said of the Apaches’ ability to deliver runs. “We practice on working on the situation.”

The junior then sent a deep fly ball to center field. Chris Rucker threw home, but the ball was hit too deep, and the Apaches had their lead.

“I had one not-so-good inning,” Lain said. “I left a change-up up. It just happens. You have to shake it off and keep pitching.”

Edson struggled early on, but retired 12 of the final 13 batters he faced. The right- hander threw a three-hitter, and the lone Bulldog to get on base in the later innings – Rucker with a single in the fifth – was thrown out trying to steal second base.

“Once he got the lead, he pitched with a lot more confidence, it seems like,” Lemas said.

The Bulldogs (5-3 in league) had a good chance in the opening inning. Leadoff hitter Rucker reached first when the ball took a funny bounce and second baseman David Dominguez couldn’t come up with it. After a groundout, Edson walked Gio Cabral and Will Yost to load the bases, his only walks of the game.

Lain then hit into a double play that featured a close call at first base.

“We did a good job in the first inning to have a chance to score,” Pasadena coach Mike Parisi said. “We could have jumped on them 1-0 and we didn’t get the call.

“That’s a tough pitcher to beat. You have to try and jump on him early.”