Softball: La Caada jumps on San Marino miscues, 7-4.

UPDATE: For the record, a few of us took a second look at the score book. Upon further review, we’ve determined Michelle Floyd had six unearned runs against one earned. Lauren O’Leary had two unearned runs against one earned, which came in the sixth inning. There was some confusion early in the game as to whether a Floyd pitch was a wild pitch or a passed ball. Also, passed balls on dropped third strikes are not considered as errors.

By Miguel A. Melendez, Staff Writer

SAN MARINO – There was frustration throughout, with a barrage of errors being the culprit.

Nevertheless, the La Caada High School softball team capitalized early and often as it completed a Rio Hondo League sweep over San Marino with a 7-4 win Wednesday.

San Marino (11-6, 5-3) started a young infield with the absence of all-league shortstop Alexis Watanabe and all-league third baseman Jacqueline Martinez. Watanabe (.500, 10 RBIs, five doubles) was out with an illness and Martinez (.314) served a one-game suspension stemming from an ejection Tuesday against Monrovia.

The inexperienced infield was prone to vulnerability, and no one knew that better than La Caada coach KC Mathews. The Spartans (17-3, 8-0) were aggressive on the basepaths and quickly pounced on the Titans, who committed four errors and had a slew of miscues at home plate.

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING

La Caada’s Anna Edwards in the first and second innings reached first on an error and twice went on to score. In the first she stole second and made it 1-0 on a dropped third strike to Aubri Thompson, who reached first on the throw to first. Shirley Drange’s RBI double made it 2-0.

Selina Mohr in the second inning connected for a bunt single before stealing second base. Next came Edwards who again reached base on an error. This time she made it all the way to third, allowing Mohr to score easily and make it 3-0. Edwards then scored on a passed ball to make it 4-0, and again in the third the Spartans scored on a passed ball. This time catcher Catherine Horner led off with a single, stole second and advanced to third on a fly out.

“They were definitely short a couple players,” Mathews said. “That’s unfortunate to come into a game like this and not have your full squad going. Again, if we can take advantage of it and get away with a (win) I’ll take it.”

La Caada’s Lauren O’Leary struck out eight and gave up five hits and three earned runs.

San Marino coach Hilda Valencia has yet to beat La Caada in three seasons at the helm, and errors have been the key reason.

“That’s the frustrating part because we know we’re a good team and we know we can actually put up a fight against them,” Valencia said. “We can’t expect to win when we have that many errors.”

San Marino’s Michelle Floyd struck out 11 and gave up three earned runs and four hits. Courtney Johnson started the rally with a bunt single. Larissa Phillips reached first on an error after a sure tag turned into a dropped ball and Johnson went to second.

Erin Stenwall also reached first on an error that allowed Johnson to score. Emily Stenwall’s two-run double pulled the Titans within 5-3.

Edwards capped the Spartans’ scoring with a solo home run to left field in the sixth for her eighth homer of the season. Caitlyn Callahan’s RBI single in the sixth capped the Titans’ scoring.

It was the first time the Spartans have given up an earned run in league.

“Last year I think there was one earned run in both games between both teams,” Mathews said. “As we get into the playoffs the more sparse base runners come you’re gonna have to take advantage of that kind of stuff to get runs across. With our pitching, if we can get one or two across we’re in pretty good shape.”