Football: G5, Heyworth in battle for starting QB job.

Above: George Frazier, aka G5, is in a battle for the starting job.

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer

MONROVIA – George Frazier V is no Nick Bueno. Blake Heyworth isn’t, either.

Neither Monrovia High School junior quarterback claims to be the next coming of Bueno, the 2011 CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division offensive player of the year who led the Wildcats to a CIF-SS championship last season.

“I play a different style than Nick,” Frazier said. “I’m not as shifty and I won’t run as much.

“People say the pressure is there. In my eyes, I’m a whole different person. It’s a whole other year, a whole other team.”

Both quarterbacks, however, hope to be taking the most snaps this season and replicate Bueno’s feat.

“You can’t replace (Bueno),” coach Ryan Maddox said. “He was a special player, but we have some very good young kids.

“It’s going to look a little different. We’re not going to ask Blake or George to do what Nick did. They are different types of quarterbacks. We’ll take what they do well and work from that.”

Bueno was the Wildcats’ quarterback for three seasons. Last year, he completed 108 of 201 passes for 1,828 yards and eight touchdowns. He also rushed for 1,513 yards and 14 scores.

Below: Blake Heyworth during practice Thursday.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

Frazier, an All-CIF linebacker last season, played in five games at quarterback last season, completing 5 of 13 passes for 98 yards and two touchdowns.

Heyworth didn’t play on the varsity team at St. Francis last season and transferred to Monrovia where his family lives because of financial reasons. He began working out with Monrovia in June.

“It was tough leaving my friends,” he said. “It’s going to work out here.”

The two players took an equal number of snaps during Thursday’s first day of full-pads practice.

And for the first time in three years, Maddox couldn’t declare a first-day starter when practice began.

“At this point in time, yeah, they’re equal,” Maddox said. “They push each other. They’re just battling.”

Frazier, however, has a slight edge, but not because he played last season. The Wildcats are waiting for CIF-SS administrators to clear Heyworth’s transfer. Maddox said paperwork was filed last week.

“Your position is never safe on the football field, no matter where you are, no matter your tenure,” Frazier said. “You have to battle for a spot. It’s never easy.”

Maddox cited the leadership role of each and said he wasn’t that concerned about a replacement.

“We know what (Frazier) can do,” he said. “He is an amazing leader and that’s what you want out of a quarterback. We knew he would be able to step into that role and handle it.”

Maddox said Heyworth’s fundamentals and leadership skills are ideal.

Neither player has the same rollout style Bueno displayed. Frazier said he prefers to throw the ball. Heyworth, who wears a brace on his left knee because of an injury last season, is even more of a pocket passer who’s had to learn to run a bit in the Wildcats’ offense.

“He’s been great to me,” Heyworth said of Frazier. “He’s been bringing me along, showing me everything. He’s a great leader. Whenever I need help with some of the plays or concepts, he helps me out. I’m just trying to help this team win another CIF championship.”

• bigfatfan

where is Nick Bueno going to college? i looked on the Cal Lutheren roster, but he is not there?? thought that was where he decided to go.

• BigCat

Okay, the ‘Cats are beating up an opponent. As is normal at Monrovia, they run in the second string early. Then, the opponent gets another first string quarterback? The ‘Cats toughest opponent this year is going to be the SPCA.

• Amat Bully

BigCat
    what does “spca” mean

• BigCat

Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

• QB battle….not a problem

Both of these QBs are good, G5 is going to be playing LB as well. Heyworth is going to play alot. If G5′s Defensive performance falters because of his double duties, you will see Blake play. The Cats need G5 on defense more than at QB. Especially when you have a QB sitting there. Either way the cats passing game is going to be much better this year. With more experienced WR and Deshawn Ramirez back and Harris and Bias, the cats won’t need a running QB. This team will be more balanced than last year. it’s a good thing these two are pushing each other. That’s how we like it in mtown. This year is going to be special.

• Red Leader

bff, Nick is at Cal Lutheran. They still have last year’s roster up on their website. He’ll be starting at the slot position and most likely returning kicks.

• mid-valley fan

So……..
    It seems that Monrovia’s Head Coach is still concerned about the hunt for a starting QB.
    Pretty scary situation because its less than two weeks till pre-season starts.
    No QB, no receiving. No receiving, all plays to Ramirez. Stop Ramirez, game over.

Good luck!

• Anonymous

To mid-valley fan. Monrovia is way over the hump when it comes to its offense this season. G5 is in the drivers seat with Heyworth stepping in as called or needed. Both will see playing time this season and both can play. Passing will be in top form this season and the running game will speak for itself as well. Ramirez is our Rolls Royce and Harris and Bias are our Bentleys.

• Philly B

Mid valley fan, Monrovia will be just fine this season. Its the defense our opponents will have to worry about, stop the cat hating.

• mid-valley fan

Philly b.

Calm down son. Not hating, just perceiving what the cats Coach is saying.
    Coach says one thing, cat fans say another. I’d put my money on the coach everytime.
    As I said, good luck.

• James Richardson

People do not realize that Blake Heyworth is very injury prone. He was injured his freshman and sophomore year at SFHS. Jim Bonds didn’t start him on varsity for two reasons: the transfer qb from Vermont is much better, and he knew that Blake wouldn’t survive a varsity season without another significant injury. I give Blake 3 or 4 games before he blows his knee out, again.