Football: Mike Mooney charged with embezzlement.

Above: Mike Mooney in 2010 fall camp.

By Brian Charles, Staff Writer

Former San Marino High School football coach Mike Mooney is due in court on Dec. 15 to be arraigned on a felony charge of grand theft by embezzlement, officials said Monday.

The former San Marino High School assistant principal and football coach – who was placed on administrative leave half way through the 2010 season – declined to comment on Monday.

The felony complaint was filed on Nov. 22, and according to the complaint, with the alleged embezzlement occurring during a two-year period from October 2008 to October 2010.

The funds allegedly stolen by Mooney were embezzled from the Titan Football Boosters club.

Officials from the club declined to comment on Monday.

CLICK ON THREAD TO CONTINUE READING

Mooney has not been booked, but has promised to appear in court, said Matt Krasnowski, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman.

“The booking will come when he is brought in on the 15th for arraignment,” Krasnowski said. “He is definitely going to report in.”

When asked why authorities have not booked Mooney, Krasnowski said: “sometimes that happens in some cases.”

Mooney began his second stint with San Marino High School football coaching staff as an assistant in 2009. In his first campaign, he helped the Titans to a 9-3 record, which included a playoff victory against the favored Rosemead High School Panthers.

Mooney became head coach in 2010, but resigned from his position in October 2010 after being placed on administrative leave.

He was also suspended from his his post as assistant principal in charge of discipline and attendance during the controversy.

At the time of his suspension, San Marino was 2-4 and just lost its Rio Hondo League opener to Temple City.

San Marino Unified District officials did not return phone calls seeking comment Monday, but at the time of Mooney’s suspension district officials said neither the the team’s performance nor complaints from the parents of the players led to the disciplinary actions.

Mooney’s connections to San Marino High football stretch back to the 1990s. He began his first stint as head coach in 1996, before leaving the program in 1998 to become head football coach at Temple City High School.

Mooney left Temple City in 2007 to return to San Marino, where he was given the option to both coach and work as an assistant principal, something not afforded to Mooney at Temple City High School.

Star-News staff writer Miguel Melendez contributed to this report.

• kim

I am so sad to hear this. He is a great guy. I don’t know what happened. I hope in the end there will be a logical explanation for these charges.

• more to this

the parent that mooney had problems with was the booster club president last year. I find it funny that the news of this leaked 3 weeks before the arraignment. I don’t think that its coincidence that the allegded embezzlement was found out after issues with the last years booster club president arose. this has been going on for 2 years & they the 1st formal complaint is filed on November 22 of 2010?

• John

He isn’t really a great guy if he’s being arraigned. He made the choice to do wrong and thought he could hide it. As a former alumni from Temple City I am embarrassed and ashamed of Mooney and all the people in connection with this scandal. What a disgrace.

• Loren Kleinrock

I would like to do two things:

1. Clarify that there was absolutely NO money stolen or embezzled from the San Marino Football Boosters Club. The charges filed do not make any representation that money was stolen from the Boosters.

2. Quickly end any misinformation and speculation regarding the timing of the filing of charges against Mr. Mike Mooney.

The timing of the filing of charges was entirely based on the police department investigation and District Attorney’s office procedures and had absolutely nothing to do with the Football Booster Club.

Loren Kleinrock
    Superintendent
    San Marino Unified School District

• bigfatfan

so if I were to read between the lines of Ms. Klienrock’s comments, then I would be led to believe that Mr. Mooney embezzeled funds from some place other than the Football Booster Club? otherwise, if no money was taken, then what are the embezzlement charges based on?

• http://www.drkennethmartin.com bacdoc

I think everyone should wait and see how this develops in the court system. I know that innocence is difficult when your picture is on the front page, but even reading Mr. Kleinrock’s statement says that there may be an underlying reason these charges were brought, and they had NOTHING to do with embezzelment.

We are ALL still innocent until proven guilty.

• asdf

didn’t he steal money from san marino high school club funds, not from the football boosters? i heard that from a rumor around school, may or may not be true.

• GrimReaper

Mooney deserves the same as everyone else, the opportunity to have a fair hearing.

Speculation and hearsay is not the way to go about it. Who knows, maybe a jury member reads this blog.

Like him or not, give him his day in court, and that doesn’t mean the court of public opinion based on second hand knowledge and hearsay.

• rhl fan

san marino tribune reports that mooney will enter a guilty plea as part of a plea deal

• SamoanPride

Yep…the San Marino Tribune is reporting it was $20,000 and it was allegedly from ASB accounts (& not the booster funds).