Football: Former San Marino coach Mike Mooney, who originally pleaded not guilty in December, pleads guilty to one count of grand theft embezzlement.

By Brian Charles, Staff Writer

SAN MARINO – Former San Marino High School football coach Mike Mooney pleaded guilty to one count of grand theft embezzlement Tuesday for stealing $20,000 from the funds from the school booster clubs, officials said.

Mooney was sentenced to one year of probation and 20 days of community service, said Sandi Gibbons, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman.

Mooney had originally pleaded not guilty to the charge in December.

The theft took place during a two-year period 2008 to 2010.

Mooney’s connections to San Marino High football stretch back to the 1990s. He began his first stint as head coach in 1996, before leaving the program in 1998 to become head football coach at Temple City High School.

Mooney left Temple City in 2007 to return to San Marino, where he was given the option to both coach and work as an assistant principal, something not afforded to Mooney at Temple City High School.

• unbiased reporting

As a player for Mooney, never really trusted him. Seemed like he always had ulterior motives. Not saying that stealing from the boosters was one of them, but this story doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

• 6power

A good man who made a bad decision.

A besmirched reputation and loss of personal integrity are greater punishments than those the court dished out. This mistake carries an indelible mark that will shadow Mooney wherever he goes.

I hope things turn around for Mooney. He was a tremendous asset for Temple City athletics when his hat was green and gold.

• SamoanPride

Hey….where did all the posters go who said Mooney was run out of town by disgruntled parents?

• tcchamps

Say it ain’t so. Looks like Mooney went in his own new direction.

• GrimReaper

If you take with a grain of salt all the comments and scenarios out there, this was the expected result.

The divorce, the now admitted embezzlement, and other failures of a personal nature I will not discuss. It is a sad story that hopefully Mooney can turn around.

There are many Mooney Critics out there as well as a now smaller group of supporters. But like him or hate him it will be a long road to get back to get even anywhere near to where he was.

I for one wish him well and would request that his detractors would not kick him while he is down.

Lesson, if you take stuff that isn’t yours with the false rationalization that you will replace it, it will never be replaced and someone will eventually notice.

• Bbballer

I heard from a sm employee that he stole a great deal more than 20 g’s and it had absolutely no reference to football funds.

• 6power

Bbballer,

I heard Miguel is dating Jessica Alba, runs a 4.2 and benches 600 lbs – but it doesn’t necessarily mean it is true

• gmen

The Great White Hope of TC and SM, what a joke! Im sure this was a plea so he wouldn’t serve time, which means he did a lot more… again what a joke!