MOVING ON UP: St. Francis takes over the top spot in this week’s rankings.
SGVN photo By Sarah Reingewirtz
STAR-NEWS LUCKY 23 RANKINGS
1. St. Francis (1-0) – Knights looked Golden in opener vs. Arcadia. Their barometer test comes in the next few weeks with games vs. Righetti, La Mirada and Monrovia. But for now, there’s no one better in the area.
2. Monrovia (0-1) – Gang Green gets knocked down a beg after losing 16-15 to Ayala, which may be better than people think. They get Arcadia this week, then get a chance to prove themselves against San Dimas, South Hills and St. Francis, all who begin week 2 undefeated.
3. San Marino (1-0) – The Titans began the season No. 9, but take advantage of a downward spiral of the rest. They showed their worth with a rout of Eagle Rock last week. San Marino’s first real test might not come until it faces Monrovia during league play.
4. Rio Hondo Prep (1-1) – The Kares rode the elevator from a season-opening win over Arcadia two weeks ago, to a loss to Mission Prep last week. Their real barometer reading is probably somewhere in between.
5. La Salle (2-0) – The Lancers make the big jump, combining their success with others struggles. They have looked good beating teams who struggled last season. Now comes a big test this week against Village Christian.
6. South Pasadena (1-0) – The Tigers showed some bite in their opener, beating San Gabriel with an explosive offense.
7. San Gabriel (1-1) – The Matadors drop a bit after losing a close one to South Pasadena. Now comes a rematch against San Dimas.
8. Muir (0-2) – The Mustangs 0-2 start is more reflective of its schedule rather than its talent level. But it doesn’t get any easier with a trip to Rancho Cucamonga this week.
9. Pasadena (0-1) – The Bulldogs return from their respite with a challenge from Cathedral on Friday.
10. Maranatha (0-2) – The Minutemen struggles continued with a blow-out loss at Don Lugo. I like their chances this week vs.Azusa.
The Rest: 11. Gabrielino (2-0),, 12. La Canada (1-0), 13. Poly (1-0), 14.Duarte (1-1), 15. Alhambra (0-2), 16. Arcadia (0-2), 17. Rosemead (0-1), 18. Temple City (0-2), 19. Bosco Tech (0-2), 20. Flintridge Prep (0-1), 21. Marshall (1-1), 22. Keppel (0-2), 23. Blair (0-2).