BACK ON TOP: St. Francis is back atop the Star-News football rankings.
(Staff photo by Sarah Reingewirtz)
1. St. Francis (3-1) —The Golden Knights have been nearly perfect, with the only blemish beign a 28-21 loss to La Mirada, which is No. 1 in the CIF-SS Southeast Division. They test their mettle against No. 2 Monrovia on Friday.
2. Monrovia (2-2) — The Wildcats have looked both invincible and beatable during different times this season. What will we see Friday at No. 1 St. Francis?
3. San Marino (4-0) — The Titans have looked like a runaway train, outscoring the oppostion, 165-21, including 108-0 the past two weeks.
4. Rio Hondo Prep (3-1) — The Kares, up to No. 2 in the Northeast Division, are a favorite to make another title run. They get a big test at Big Bear, which is No. 4 in the Eastern Divison.
5. La Salle (5-0) — No team has had a bigger turnaround than the Lancers, who just keep piling up the wins. They take a respite before taking aim at the Del Rey League.
6. Gabrielino (5-0) — The Eagles have taken advantage of a soft schedule. They’ll take a week off before beginning a rugged road in the Mission Valley League.
7. South Pasadena (3-1) —The Tigers have looked impressive in three of the four games. But what happened against Hoover?
8. Muir (1-3) — The real Mustangs stepped up in a 36-0 victory over Crescenta Valley, who some viewed as the favorite in the Pacific League. The league title is Muir’s to lose.
9. Pasadena Poly (3-0) — The Panthers have been steady in going 3-0. This is a team that could challenge Rio Hondo Prep in the Prep League.
10. Pasadena (1-3) — The Bulldogs also welcomed the beginning of league play. They could challenge Muir for league supremacy, but first they must get by Crescenta Valley this week before standout Brandon Cox returns.
Others: 11. Arcadia (1-3), 12. Duarte (2-2), 13. Rosemead (2-2), 14. *San Gabriel (1-4), 15. Alhambra (2-3), 16. La Canada (1-3), 17. Temple City (1-3), 18. Maranatha (0-5), 19. Flintridge Prep (1-3), 20. Bosco Tech (1-4), 21. Marshall (2-3), 22. Keppel (0-5), 23. Blair (0-4).