TOP CAT: Monrovia, fresh off a 17-13 win over previous No. 1 St. Francis, is No. 1 in the area. Staff photo by Sarah Reingewirtz
STAR-NEWS FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. Monrovia (3-2) — The Wildcats, fresh off their 17-13 victory at St. Francis, should be here awhile. I don’t expect to see a loss before the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley semifinals, if at all.
2. St. Francis (3-2) — Only losses have to been to La Mirada, which is No. 1 in the Southeast and Monrovia, which is No. 3 in the Mid-Valley. Next up is 5-0 Cathedral in the Mission League opener.
3. San Marino (5-0) — The Titans are a surprising No. 3 after rolling through nonleague play with ease. Now comes Rio Hondo League play, where they look like Monrovia’s chief challenger.
4. Rio Hondo Prep (4-1) — The Kares scored another impressive win, beating previously undefeated Big Bear. Yes, another CIF-SS title could be in their future.
5. La Salle (5-0) — The Lancers are the surprise of the season. They’ve gone from hoping to improve off last season’s 1-9 finish to Del Rey League contender. The latter quest begins Friday vs. Verubm Dei.
6. Gabrielino (5-0) — Are the Eagles pretenders or contenders in the Mission Valley League? They get to prove it a little against Mountain View on Friday before the real test comes in a few weeks at Rosemead.
7. South Pasadena (4-1) — The Tigers have showed they can score. But if South Pasadena is to contend in the Rio Hondo League, the defense has to improve.
8. Muir (2-3) — The Mustangs look like the one to beat in the Pacific League. This is a team that should scare a lot of opponents in the Southeast. That means you La Serna and La Mirada!
9. Duarte (3-2) — The Falcons took a step toward a possible Montview League title by ending Azusa’s 27-game league win streak with ease. Next up is Workman before a showdown against Gladstone.
10. Pasadena Poly — The Panthers, despite a 50-49 loss to Bell-Jeff, could challenge Rio Hondo Prep for Prep League supremacy.
The Rest: 11. Pasadena (1-4), 12. Arcadia (1-4), 13. *San Gabriel (1-4), 14. Rosemead (2-3), 15. Alhambra (2-3), 16. Temple City (2-3), 17. La Canada (1-4), 18. Flintridge Prep (2-3), 19. Maranatha (0-5), 20. Bosco Tech (1-4), 21. Marshall (3-3), 22. Keppel (0-5), 23. Blair (0-5).