STAR-NEWS FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. Monrovia (4-2) — The Wildcats are back in their comfort zone, showing their might with a 53-14 victory over previous No. 7 South Pasadena. It’s the first of what should be a sweep through the Rio Hondo League and perhaps the CIF-SS Mid-Valley Divsion.
2. San Marino (6-0) — The Titans, off to their best start in recent memory, move up a notch after another blow-out win. They should continue their march until a late-season showdown at Monrovia at the end of the month.
3. Rio Hondo Prep (5-1) — The Kares also take advantage of St. Francis’ loss and take the No. 3 spot. This is another team that might not lose the rest of the way. It’s Prep League title and Northeast Division championship for bust for Rio Hondo.
4. St. Francis (3-3) — The Golden Knights could easily be 6-0, instead they are 3-3 and now in danger of missing the postseason, sans upset wins over Serra and Chaminade in the next few weeks. It’s time to worry in La Canada.
5. La Salle (6-0) — The Lancers’ turnaround just keeps getting better every week. They’ll likely play for the eventual Del Rey League title next week. But first a battle at Mary Star (2-1 in league) awaits.
6. Gabrielino (6-0) — The Eagles continue to fly, beating Mountain View convincingly last week. Will it continue against South El Monte?
7. Muir (3-3) — The Mustangs continue to climb the ladder after opening the season with consecutive losses. They get Burroughs this week before a Pacific League showdown against Burbank next week.
8. Duarte (4-2) — The Falcons long road back to the top of the Montivew League rests with a first-place showdown against Gladstone on Friday.
9. South Pasadena (4-2) — The Tigers were no match for Monrovia, but who is? They will be back in their realm this week, and still have a shot to finish in the Rio Hondo League’s top three.
10. Pasadena Poly (3-1) — The Panthers, who were idle last week, need to take care of business agaisnt rival Flintridge Prep on Saturday. But the Prep League showdown agaisnt Rio Hondo Prep looms.
The rest: 11. Arcadia (2-4), 12. Rosemead (3-3), 13. Pasadena (2-4), 14. Temple City (3-3), 15. *San Gabriel (1-5), 16. Alhambra (2-4), 17. Flintridge Prep (3-3), 18. Maranatha (1-5), 19. La Canada (1-5), 20. Bosco Tech (1-5), 21. Marshall (3-4), 22. Keppel (0-6), 23. Blair (0-6).