WELCOME BACK: Temple City, riding a four-game win streak, is back in the Star-News top 10. Staff photo By Sarah Reingewirtz
STAR-NEWS FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. Monrovia (5-2) — The Wildcats continued their annual cruise through the Rio Hondo League, trumping La Canada, 49-3 last week. It should be more of the same this week before next week’s showdown against San Marino.
2. San Marino (7-0) — The Titans train just keeps on rolling. San Marino has scored at least 30 points in six of its seven victories, winning by an average margin of 46-8. They get a big test this week against improving Temple City before next week’s showdown at Monrovia.
3. Rio Hondo Prep (6-1) — It’s beginning to look like you can pencil in the Kares, after a 52-6 rout of Chadwick, as one of the top teams in the Northeast Division finals. But first they have a first-place showdown agaisnt Flintridge Prep at Occidental College on Friday.
4. La Salle (7-0) — Worst to first? That’s the destiny that the Lancers can complete Friday when they travel to Bishop Montgomery in a game that will decide the Del Rey League title.
5. St. Francis (3-4) — The Knights are freefalling after another close loss, a 41-36 setback to Harvard-Westlake. Now Serra comes to town on Thursday. Those playoff chances are dwindling with each passing week, if they still exist at all.
6. Muir (4-3) — The Mustangs have recovered nicley from a slow start to win four consecutive games, including a 21-14 victory over Burroughs last week. Now they play for first place in the Pacific League against Burbank.
7. Gabrielino (6-1) — Six was enough for the Eagles, who need to put another streak together to earn a playoff spot. Can they?
8. Arcadia (3-4) — Look whose back? The Apaches have won three of four in the Pacific League are still in the running for a league title. But first they must take care of business against Pasadena on Friday.
9. Duarte (4-3) — The Falcons, who lost to Gladstone in a first-place battle last week, are in a three-way tie for second in the Montview League. They face La Puente in a game that will likely determine one of the league’s three guaranteed playoff spots.
10. Temple City (4-3) — The Rams are one of the hottest teams in the area, riding a four-game win streak after a 42-35 victory over South Pasadena.
The Rest: 11. South Pasadena (4-3). 12. Alhambra (3-4), 13. Rosemead (3-4), 14. Flintridge Prep (4-3), 15. Pasadena (2-5), 16. Maranatha (2-5), 17. Pasadena Poly (3-2), 18. San Gabriel (1-6), 19. La Canada (1-6); 20. Bosco Tech (1-6), 21. Marshall (3-5), 22. Keppel (0-7); 23. Blair (0-7).