TOP CAT: Monrovia, fresh off a 17-13 win over previous No. 1 St. Francis, is No. 1 in the area. Staff photo by Sarah Reingewirtz
STAR-NEWS FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. Monrovia (3-2) — The Wildcats, fresh off their 17-13 victory at St. Francis, should be here awhile. I don’t expect to see a loss before the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley semifinals, if at all.
2. St. Francis (3-2) – Only losses have to been to La Mirada, which is No. 1 in the Southeast and Monrovia, which is No. 3 in the Mid-Valley. Next up is 5-0 Cathedral in the Mission League opener.
3. San Marino (5-0) — The Titans are a surprising No. 3 after rolling through nonleague play with ease. Now comes Rio Hondo League play, where they look like Monrovia’s chief challenger.
4. Rio Hondo Prep (4-1) – The Kares scored another impressive win, beating previously undefeated Big Bear. Yes, another CIF-SS title could be in their future.
5. La Salle (5-0) — The Lancers are the surprise of the season. They’ve gone from hoping to improve off last season’s 1-9 finish to Del Rey League contender. The latter quest begins Friday vs. Verubm Dei.
6. Gabrielino (5-0) – Are the Eagles pretenders or contenders in the Mission Valley League? They get to prove it a little against Mountain View on Friday before the real test comes in a few weeks at Rosemead.
7. South Pasadena (4-1) – The Tigers have showed they can score. But if South Pasadena is to contend in the Rio Hondo League, the defense has to improve.
8. Muir (2-3) — The Mustangs look like the one to beat in the Pacific League. This is a team that should scare a lot of opponents in the Southeast. That means you La Serna and La Mirada!
9. Duarte (3-2) – The Falcons took a step toward a possible Montview League title by ending Azusa’s 27-game league win streak with ease. Next up is Workman before a showdown against Gladstone.
10. Pasadena Poly – The Panthers, despite a 50-49 loss to Bell-Jeff, could challenge Rio Hondo Prep for Prep League supremacy.
The Rest: 11. Pasadena (1-4), 12. Arcadia (1-4), 13. *San Gabriel (1-4), 14. Rosemead (2-3), 15. Alhambra (2-3), 16. Temple City (2-3), 17. La Canada (1-4), 18. Flintridge Prep (2-3), 19. Maranatha (0-5), 20. Bosco Tech (1-4), 21. Marshall (3-3), 22. Keppel (0-5), 23. Blair (0-5).
NO TIME FOR A BREATHER: It’s time for the stretch run as the last of the area teams begin league play this week.
Staff photo By Sarah Reingewirtz
Keith Lair and I will go head-to-head in the Star-News Pick’em. Here is this week’s predictions along with how we did last week.
Last Week: Ramirez (8-6); Lair (8-6)
Season: Ramirez (66-31); Lair (66-31)
Last week: It felt a lot like upset Friday last week and our record showed, each going 8-6.
This Week: The last of the area leagues begin league play this week, with some interesting matchups, The top three figure to be St. Francis, still smarting from their loss to Monrovia, at undefeated Cathedral; South Pasadena, which went 4-1 in nonleague play, opening the Rio Hondo league against five-time champ Monrovia, and Pasadena, which lost a close one to Crescenta Valley, hosting Burbank, which begins the week tied with Muir for first in the Pacific League. I like the Knights, Cats and Bulldogs.
This week’s schedule and predictions:
Note: Keith Lair will provide his picks later
Bishop Montgomery vs. Bosco Tech at Gabrielino, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Bishop Monty); Lair (Bishop Monty)
St. Francis at Cathedral, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (SFrancis); Lair (SFrancis)
Monrovia at South Pasadena, 7 pm. — Ramirez (Monrovia); Lair (Monrovia)
Burbank at Pasadena, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (Pasadena); Lair (Burbank)
Muir at Glendale, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Muir); Lair (Muir)
Hoover at Arcadia, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (Arcadia); Lair (Arcadia)
Verbum Dei at La Salle, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (La Salle); Lair (La Salle)
San Marino at La Canada, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (SMarino); Lair (SMarino)
South El Monte at Rosemead, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Rsmd); Lair (Rsmd)
Gabrielino at Mountain View, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Gabrielino); Lair (Gabrielino)
Duarte vs. Workman at La Puente HS, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Duarte); Lair (Duarte)
San Gabriel at Schurr, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (SGabe); Lair (SGabe)
Alhambra at Bell Gardens, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (BG); Lair (BG)
Montebello at Keppel, 7 p.m. – Ramirez (Montebello) Lair (Montebello)
Heritage Christian at Maranatha, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (HC); Lair (HC)
Webb at Rio Hondo Prep, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (RHP); Lair (RHP)
Blair at Temple City, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (TC); Lair (TC)
Marshall at Brentwood, 3 p.m. — Ramirez (Brentwood); Lair (Brentwood)
Chadwick vs. Flintridge Prep at La Canada HS, 7 p.m. — Ramirez (Chad); Lair (Chad)