Monrovia and Rio Hondo Prep will be looking to add to the CIF-Southern Section championship showcase Friday when they each play in division title games. Monrovia is seeking its third consecutive Mid-Valley title, while Rio Hondo Prep is seeking its second consecutive Northeast championship and its 14 CIF-SS title overall.
Both are also in the running for region bowl bids. Cal-Hi Sports believes if both win, their in. Max Preps believes each will be a little more.
If both teams win on Friday, they’ll find out their fate on Sunday when pairings for the five region bowls are announced.
Here’s this week’s Cal-Hi Region rankings for Division III and IV, with some notes provided by Cal-Hi Sports:
1. (1) Paraclete (Lancaster) 12-1
2. (2) St. Augustine (San Diego) 10-2*
3. (3) Monrovia 11-2
4. (4) Wasco 12-0
5. (5) Madison (San Diego) 11-1
6. (NR) North (Torrance) 11-2
7. (6) Nordhoff (Ojai) 12-1
8. (NR) Rim of the World (Lake Arrowhead) 11-2
9. (NR) Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) 10-3*
10. (NR) Garden Grove 11-2
*Forfeit win not included.
Drops: Previous No. 7 Laguna Beach lost to Garden Grove 35-21; No. 8 San Dimas lost to Paraclete (Lancaster) 28-20; No. 9 Mission Oak (Tulare) lost to Bakersfield Christian 7-0; No. 10 Brawley lost to Madison (San Diego) 35-18.
Bubble Teams: Banning 11-2*, Brawley 10-2*, Jurupa Hills (Fontana) 8-4*, Laguna Beach 11-1-1*, Mission Oak (Tulare) 9-3*, San Dimas 11-2*, San Marino 10-2**, Salesian (Los Angeles) 11-2*, Valley Center 7-5*.
*Indicates season complete and ineligible for CIF bowl game.
**Indicates forfeit loss not included plus season complete, ineligible for bowl game.
No. 1 Team Result: Paraclete defeated San Dimas 28-20 in CIF Southern Section Mid-Valley Division semifinals.
Cal-Hi Sports Projected Bowl Game Matchup: CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division winner (Paraclete or Monrovia) vs. CIF-San Diego Section Division IV winner (St. Augustine or Madison).
DIVISION IV SOUTH
1. (3) Ontario Christian 13-0
2. (1) Bishop Diego (Santa Barbara) 12-1*
3. (2) Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth) 11-2*
4. (4) Mission Prep (San Luis Obispo) 11-1
5. (5) Rio Hondo Prep (Arcadia) 11-1
6. (6) Santa Fe Christian (Solana Beach) 9-3
7. (7) Francis Parker (San Diego) 8-4
8. (10) Bakersfield Christian 10-2
9. (NR) St. Margaret’s (SJ Capistrano) 10-2*
10. (8) Horizon (San Diego) 8-4*
*Indicates season complete, ineligible for CIF bowl game.
Drops: Previous No. 9 Christian (El Cajon) lost to Francis Parker 27-24.
Bubble Teams: Boron 10-2*, Calipatria 9-3*, Christian (El Cajon) 8-4*, Flintridge Prep (La Canada) 6-5*, La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla) 7-4*, Windward (Los Angeles) 5-4*.
*Indicates season complete, ineligible for bowl game.
*Win by forfeit not included.
Cal-Hi Sports Projected Bowl Game Matchup: Ontario Christian (if it were to win CIF-SS East Valley title) vs. CIF-SS Northeast Division champion (Mission Prep or Rio Hondo Prep).