We are in the midst of putting together our SGVN PrepXtra football preview magazine. As we gather information, I thought there is no better time to look at a possible area top five. It includes the usual suspects.
Mid-Summer Area Top 5
1. St. Francis (10-3 in 2013) – The Golden Knights, with Dylan Crawford and John Carroll returning are the biggest benefactor of the re-leaguing and the new divisional alignment. St. Francis will be the favorites in the new Angelus/Serra League and the Southeast Division. Yes, they have key losses, but Jim Bonds usually just reloads.
2. Muir (10-3) – The Mustangs, with returner Taeon Mason, are also in the catbird seat. They are the class of Pacific League and don’t be surprised with a Muir-St. Francis final in the Southeast.
3. San Marino (9-3) – The Titans will battle Monrovia in the Rio Hondo, and you have to tab San Marino, which returns four pretty good skill players, including all-area first teamer Tyler Spitzer.
4. Monrovia (11-2) – The ‘Cats lose their top two producers from a year ago, and now have a new coach. They’ll battle San Marino in the Rio Hondo League, and right now, it looks like their reign is over.
5. La Salle (9-3) – Russell Gordon has won 19 games in two seasons at La Salle. His Lancers take a step up in class this season. But there is a solid nucleus back.