301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia. (626) 821-3222
- Saturday: A Square-Foot Gardening Workshop explores the technique of more intensive and multi-level gardening, using 1/5 the space of a conventional garden and less water and energy; 9 a.m.- 1 p.m. Aug. 22, in the Oak Room. $25. There is no tilling of the soil; included are lessons on setup, planting, watering, growing vertically, pest control and harvesting. Register at (626) 821-4623.
- Saturday: Broadway’s Best with the Cal Phil Orchestra, 7:30-10 p.m. Aug. 22. Tickets start at $20. (626) 300-8200 or www.calphil.org
1418 Descanso Drive, La Caada Flintridge. (818) 949-4200
- Thursday: Wine tasting, For Heaven’s Sake!, Minka Terrace, 6-8:30 p.m., Thursday. $49-$54, large appetizers chosen to compliment the wines. (818) 790-3663.
- Friday: Summer Night Walk with senior docent Jim Jackson, who leads this leisurely evening walk, giving botanical and historic highlights; 7:15 p.m. Friday. $15. Register at (818) 949-7980.
HUNTINGTON LIBRARY, ART COLLECTIONS, AND BOTANICAL GARDENS
1151 Oxford Road, San Marino. (626) 405-2100
- Saturday: Art of Flower Arranging, 10 a.m.-noon, Aug. 22. Designers from Flower Duet will teach a workshop, using flowers from Australia to create modern floral arrangements; participants will take home their own arrangement. $85. Register at (626) 405-2128.
- Saturday & Sunday: Southwest Chamber Music Summer Festival, final summer concerts includes selections by Aaron Copland, Alexandra de Bois, and Franz Schubert; 7:30 p.m., Aug. 22 and 23. Loggia seating, $45; lawn admission $28. Pre-concert dinners available, $55. (800) 726- 7147 or www.swmusic.org
- Sunday, Oct. 4: Pasadena American Society of Interior Designers 23rd Annual Home and Kitchen Tour showcases five unique homes in Pasadena and Arcadia, with kitchens from five diverse designers; 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 4. Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 day of the tour and include a map to each home. (800) 237-2634
— Compiled by Linda Fields Gold