The third annual L.A. Heritage Day was held Sunday at the Heritage Square Museum, nestled along the Pasadena Freeway near the Arroyo Seco.
The day was an opportunity to step inside some of the historic structures now located at the museum. Each has been relocated to Heritage Square to be saved from demolition and to be preserved as a record of Southern California’s early development and architecture.
The Longfellow-Hastings Octagon House is one of the last-remaining, mostly unaltered Victorian-era octagon houses in California. It was moved to Heritage Square from Pasadena in 1986.
Octagon homes became popular among homeowners after 1848, when progressive social thinker Orson S. Fowler published “The Octagon House: A Home for All,” extolling the affordable cost, natural light and quality ventilation in an eight-sided home.
On the porch of the Octagon House, a group called the Culinary Historians of Southern California was handing out salad recipes from the early 1900s. The group takes a gastronomic approach to history, focusing on food through the ages and the social implications of what and how people eat.
From the culinary group’s handout, a Mrs. C.C. Hall of Hollywood offered up in 1908 this recipe for a “Dainty Salad”: “With a sharp knife, make small incisions in Tokay or Malaga grapes and remove the seed. Fill the cavity with English walnut meats. Served in lettuce hearts, with mayonnaise dressing.”
The house in the background, below, is the Valley Knudsen Garden Residence, built in 1883-84 by a cabinetmaker in Lincoln Heights.
Heritage Square materials note the side trim of the front door is decorated with doves and lilies, Christian symbols of the crucifixion.
Upstairs, in the back, there is a sun deck that was possibly used by a tuberculosis patient. Heliotherapy was sometimes prescribed to ease the lungs of the afflicted. (Read a 1935 article published by the journal of the American College of Chest Physicians.)
Below is the colorful Hale House, built between 1887 and 1888, and it was originally located at the foot of Mount Washington, not far from where Heritage Square is today.
Those unmistakable exterior colors — four shades of green, three shades of red, with yellow and Victorian black trim — were reproduced directly from paint chips uncovered during a restoration, according to the museum site.
Below, the Palms Depot houses the museum store and visitor center. It was built in 1887, became part of the Pacific Electric Railway, and was in service until 1953.
The structure below was built in 1876 for a businessman and lumber baron. The Perry House is one of the largest at Heritage Square, and was once the largest house in Los Angeles.
Opened for services 112 years ago on April 17, 1898, the Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church once stood, surrounded by orange groves, at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena. Below, the church building, which was designed by George W. Kramer, architect of more than 2,000 Methodist churches.
There were more than 100 preservation groups and museums at L.A. Heritage Day, among them local organizations like the Pasadena Museum of History, Pasadena Heritage and the San Marino Historical Society.