- BULGARINI GELATO
The museum was first opened in Altadena by “Top Banana” Ken Bannister. It’s been in Hesperia since 2005.
Public Editor Larry Wilson picks up in his column the story on a potential cooperative (meaning, member-owned) food market that’s gaining steam in Altadena:
Right now, in the organizing phase, Arroyo is
looking for 500 members to come in at $300 before the end of the year
to raise some capital toward start-up costs and construction beginning
next summer. The group says that some of the advantages to the early
adapters will be members-only events and discounts on store items.
One beauty part: “We want to build not just a healthy
grocery store but a gathering place in the community for events and
classes, plus a locally run cafe and brew pub.”
The Arroyo Food Co-op would aim to provide more organic products, stock from local producers, reasonable prices and a direct line to a more sustainable, “green” lifestyle.
“At this time the Station Fire continues to be a slow moving fire and if
the fire continues moving toward Sierra Madre, officials do not expect
it to enter the City for at least five days. This prediction is
contingent on if the current weather conditions continue.” (3:04 p.m. Wednesday)
- City of Monrovia emergency notifications posted on main city site
“Monrovia’s Sawpit Dam helibase is operational for helicopter use in fighting the fire around La Canada Flintridge. As a contingency plan, bulldozers from the U.S. Forest Service are working in local foothills to cut fire breaks Monrovia. The fire is not currently a threat to Monrovia.” (3:05 p.m. Wednesday)
- Animal shelter listing for areas impacted by SoCal fires
How to help:
- The Red Cross evacuation center at La Canada High School
is seeking air conditioning vendors with portable units to help cool
their gymnasium. To help, call La Caada Flintridge City Hall at (818) 790-8880
- TCN North Now — covering Glendale, Crescenta Valley, Burbank and La Caada
- at (626) 585-7315.
- Los Angeles Unified — Schools in Sunland and eastern San Fernando Valley region were not yet in session. Outdoor athletic activities suspended.
- Santa Clarita — William S. Hart Union High School District and Saugus Union School District remain open
- Round-up of best Web maps of California wildfires at Search Engine Land
- LAObserved reports it is unclear if the outage was caused by traffic or the fire. — UPDATE: Camera not working.
- While the Mt. Wilson tower cam is down, you can view a time-lapse sequence of photos from Sunday night showing the approach of the fire.
- SGVN Metro Editor Frank Girardot